Leap Motion Infrared Controller adapted for Music

Geoff Grace

• Members

I was only passingly familiar with the Leap Motion Infrared Controller; but when I stumbled across this video by composer Hagai Davidoff of the Leap Motion used in conjunction with Spitfire Audio's Albion I orchestral sample library, I was pretty impressed at what it can do. The beginning of the video contains setup instructions. His demo of making music with it begins about six minutes into the video.

[video=youtube;TjF8JN5aVfc]

Here's another video of Davidoff using a pen with Leap Motion and the Geco MIDI app to virtually bow the free Reaktor Ensemble, Serenade:

[video=youtube;kLkPvmr93K8]

We joke about the term "game changer" being used in ad copy, but the Leap Motion Infrared Controller could be the best thing for use with keyboards since the invention of the breath controller.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I'm not sure how many musicians even know the Leap Motion exists, let alone that it can be used as a MIDI controller. I don't think the manufacturer is trying to market to us either, since we're not the main target group for the device.

I hope that word of mouth will help it catch on in our community. At $60-$70 street, they're certainly not prohibitively priced.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Roland has had the D Beam controller around for some years - same basic thing, it picks up hand position and motion and modulates whatever parameters are patched to it. This Leap Motion one might be more powerful or sensitive - looks quite interesting.

I've had the Roland D Beam on my Handsonic midi hand percussion controller for a few years. It's....ok, but you know, I think I'd rather have something physical, tactile. A really good 4-coordinate pad controller or a high quality joystick I find just as or more effective for most purposes than an infrared beam.

But I do feel, even with all the advances in synths and controller technology, that synths are still quite clumsy instruments for playing with nuance. A guitar or sax or real drumkit - now those are controllers I can get into. I haven't found a way to control synths that is anything as organic, tactile, responsive, and musical. Maybe some day, it would be wonderful.

nat whilk ii

Archived