Big guitar shows / equipment exhibitions

LiveMusic

• Members

The Dallas International Guitar Festival is this weekend. I assume this is a big deal? With most manufacturers having a booth?

Do vendors offer any deals at these shows to buy something like a guitar? Do they discount them heavily the last day? I used to be a vendor at shows for runners and rather than carry stuff home, I'd sell it down to my cost. Any ideas or tips for attending or getting a good deal?

• Members

I've attended this show for quite a few years now. It used to be better when they were at Fair Park as the main stage was outside with a couple smaller ones inside. There was a ton of small mom and pop dealers and some very good deals to be had. There were usually 3 or 4 of the big companies at the show showing off their new lines.

Now it's at Market Hall and the main stage is basically in an empty warehouse with the worst possible sound. So all the biggest acts aren't even worth seeing. The smaller groups on the outdoor stages are great though. Catch Rhett Butler if you can. Still a bunch of smaller dealers but no representation from the big guitar companies (EDIT: Gibson brings in a collection of custom guitars and Roland usually is there but neither of them to sell), but there is plenty of representation from the high dollar niche companies like Warrior which typically has a very nice booth. Last year Robert Keeley (or someone representing him) had a booth and was selling a bunch of his modded pedals.

I've bought a few pedals and gotten really great deals but never a guitar although I've been tempted several times. You still have to haggle for a good price; they're not just dieing to give away stuff for next to nothing. You might be able to get a better deal on the last day of the show; however the selection is usually a little smaller with a few vendors not even setting up on Sunday.

Archived