How Complex Can I Make This MIDI Setup?

ggm1960

• Members

Ok I'd thought I had this crazy system all setup and ready for prime-time until we were practicing last week and I got a stuck note:o

M-Audio Keystation es88 is powered and communicates through USB into Toshiba Satellite T1300 Laptop running Sonar 5 which interfaces with Hercules 16/12 firewire interface that MIDI's into Roland JV-1080, whew...!

It occurred to me that it all might be more stable if I could just wall-wart the es88 and use the MIDI out into the JV-1080, however, the biggest reason the laptop is in the system is to send program change messages to all my outboard gear (Korg X5D, Roland XP-30, Digitech RP2000, Antares AVP-1, and of course Roland JV-1080) between songs. So what that means is that I'd need a MIDI merger to have two MIDI inputs going into the JV-1080.

So the question(s) for you MIDI experts is.......Have you had any luck using a MIDI merger? Would I really see any advantage because as long as I'm using MIDI there's always going to be a stuck note here and there?

• Members

Doesn't Sonar have a panic button to quickly kill stuck notes? And couldn't you set a key binding on it so you just pop a key on the laptop if this happens?

Yes that's how I stopped it but you're right, I should and I will assign a key to it. I guess it actually took me by surprise because it's been quite a while since I've had a note stick!

Actually the system works pretty well but I have to shy away from software synths, that's just a little to much for it. I use the Sonar plug-ins for vocal effects which seems to work really well though.

Archived