Craig, how does QUADRAFUZZ work?

• Members

Hi Craig,

I've been meaning to tell you that QUADRAFUZZ is one of the most useful, most intuitive, most attractive, most useable plugins I've ever used.

Today I used it to give my SoundFont trumpets and trombones an amazing bite they were lacking... My SoundFont horn patches were not bad, but once they reached the loop phase, they kind of take on a buzzy, flat sawtooth-y sound. I used the EDIT features to precisely "agitate" the frequencies needed to add life, "air" and bite to these sounds. Then, panning four separate trumpets across the pan field creates a startlingly effective horn section.

Craig, how does QUADRAFUZZ work, exactly, and how does it differ from, say exciters and so-called "warming" plugins?

Thanks, ras :thu:

• Members

It splits the signal into four bands, and distorts each one individually via a distortion curve characteristic of red LEDs. The multiband distortion gives a cleaner sound than "monoband" distortion. Is that enough info, or do you want more?

• Members

The plug-in models the original hardware. The key clipping element is an LED. Traditional fuzzes use diodes to clip the signal and introduce distortion, but light-emitting diodes have a unique, "softer" transfer curve. The other thing about an LED is that its capacitance changes depending on the current going through it. With more current (higher levels), there's less capacitance, and therefore more highs. With less current (lowe levels), there's more capacitance and a warmer, chunkier sound.

It's the interaction of the LED with the signal that is key, and the guys at Spectral Design who modeled the Quadrafuzz not only nailed that curve, but threw in some others as well. The main coder is a guitar player, so he "got" what it was supposed to sound like.

Too bad the software version isn't available anymore...

• Members

Craig :

I've got to chime in and say that I love this plug-in as well.

I've used the EQ section many, many times to get that certain something out of drums and bass when all of my other plug-in EQ's just didn't do it. (And I've got quite a few high-end EQ plugs)

The EQ adds bite, balls and character.

• Members

Craig, did you know that PRS used LEDs in their old 1980s solid state guitar amp?

I always liked the direct out of that piece.

Tom Scholz is another big fan of LEDs as distortion elements, we had quite a discussion about it once. Of course, the pre-CBS LEDs are the best :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I am still waiting to hear any news on a new version the Craig mentioned was a possibility...

... as I think many of us are.

A QuadraFuzz thread comes up at least every other month it seems. There is definitely demand. I must admit, I'm a bit ashamed I have let my eyes wander the way of Izotope's Trash, but, I'm still holding out for a magical reinvention of a multi-faceted, side-chain exploiting, automate'n everything Quadrafuzz plug-in... my drum mangleing just hasn't been the same and there simply is no better way to mistreat a monosynth i.e. 303.

:D

... Audio Units support too please ;-)

Archived