Event 20/20bas died... again so?

seclusion

• Members

Hey guys

I have a pair of the original Event 20/20 bas amplified monitors that I've had for... man must be pushing 10 years maybe. I've enjoyed them, I know they aren't the best, but I've got some nice mixes out of them.

The only complaint I've had with them is they get extremely hot. Over the years I've had to re-solder the caps on them say I think 3 x's now. Now I had it die again. I've tried to re-solder that speaker again. everything is pretty black around the PC board. I am taking it to a reputable repair center to see if they can fix it. But I'm thinking that I ready to trade these babies in and upgrade.

I'm looking around $1000 Can to spend for a pair of powered monitors.

Mostly working on my own material which is Pop, Rock, Ballad, Celtic sort of stuff. I leave them on 24/7 and am looking for a pair that won't overheat and tire my ears.

I know preferences can vary between users and everyone likes the current pair they have because that's what they have.

I hear a lot about the Adam A7's, Dynaudio, Event, Mackie etc.

I will be heading down to Long N McQuade downtown Toronto once I hear back from the repair shop. I will listen and listen.

I just wanted to know which monitors should make it to my listening test again around the $1000 Can, reliable, Stereo mix's only, no sub, the above tunes?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Later

Brian

• Members

I can't help but put my thumbs-up for the ADAM A-7. I've never heard a better monitor for under $1000 a pair, and (IMHO) I actually find them better than many speakers even more expensive.

My second choice at that price would be the Dynaudio BM5A, but it's a pretty distant second.

And finally (stating the obvious): what I like in monitors might not be at all what you like. I'd think the A-7 would be a nice step up from the Events, but that just me. Your ears may not be like mine.

• Members

Oops, I just saw you meant $1000Cn, so the A''s will be slightly more, but (again, in my opinion) worth the difference.

Seconding the weasel! I went from 20/20s (which I do think were excellent for their time) to ADAM A7s. Yes, there are a ton of good speakers out there, but the ADAMs stand out in terms of honesty. Even the "little guy" A7s have the "ADAM sound."

• Members

I figure if they can be repaired, trade-in wise might grab $300 so it should still make em around $1000. I've been happy using the 20/20's I got em when Powered monitors were the new thing. I guess being a first generation product they needed a bit more RnD, they just get way to hot and I end up smelling solder if I work them hard. I've yet to read a dis about the A7's. Thanks for the input, Trying to mix with one speaker is suckin right now but the one speaker did give me some hint a few weeks ago.

Thanks again.

Later

• Members

The ADAM A7s are the best monitors I've heard for $1000 or less. Check those out. I don't know what else compares, but Events (don't know which model) also gets good reviews, especially in Electronic Musician. I don't know how good the M-Audio things are, but Butch Vig's pimpin' them now.

Archived