Do mp3's for ipods have to be in a special format?

tradivoro1

• Members

Hi, I recently did background music for a play... Originally I gave them CDs to use with the theater system... Then they told me that they were going to use and ipod and could I give them mp3's... So I gave them a disk of mp3's in 128 44K version... They called me today saying that some of the songs seemed like their were missing bass, and didn't sound good.... Do songs that are played on the ipod have to be converted to mp3s using apple's converter?? Any info appreciated, thanks.

• Members

Well, actually, more info has come to light... Apparently, the original music I did sounds fine... They used a couple of Vienesse waltzes from CDs and that's what not sounding good... So, I gotta figure why that's sounding bad now... It sounds fine at my studio...

• Members

Basically, I ripped the CD, and then encoded it using lame algorithm... Basically, in my studio it sounds fine... since I wrote this post, I've had a chance to go home and listen to everything and I can't understand why the things I did would sound good and theings from the CD would sound "bad"... My guess is that because these waltzes have such a range of dynamics, they're freaking out cuase it doesn't stay at one volume...

I haven't had a chance to go to the theater... Also, they don't have an "audio" person doing the sound, they just have somebody that will do sound... So, I gotta to the theater tomorrow, see what they're doing...

I'm getting a feeling that they're playing this through an ipod, hooked up to something other than a board, and that the idea of raising a fader hasn't crossed anybody's mind cause there is no fader... so, I gotta see what kind of a set up they have and why if the tunes sound fine in my studio, some sound fine over at the theater and not others... Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and I'll tell you what I find... I've done music and sound design for these people for 4 years and I've never had a problem... But they've always used CDs in the past... This is the first itme they're using an IPOD..

• CMS Author
Basically, I ripped the CD, and then encoded it using lame algorithm... Basically, in my studio it sounds fine... since I wrote this post, I've had a chance to go home and listen to everything and I can't understand why the things I did would sound good and theings from the CD would sound "bad"... My guess is that because these waltzes have such a range of dynamics, they're freaking out cuase it doesn't stay at one volume...

Check the iPod to see if there's some sort of automatic volume control setting turned on. Those "take it anywhere" music players often have settings for car, airplaine, late night listening, and so on (hard to identify the "just turn the damn processor off" setting by name). That could be applying some sort of extreme dynamic range control on your dynamic music that isn't so obtrusive on a commercial CD that's already been limited to 2 dB of dynamic range.

• Members

Thanks Mike, yeah, that's my guess that anything that isn't pop music is not going to sound good over these things, and there just might be a setting as you mentinoned and as boseengineer also mentioned, it may be one of these eq setting for a particular kind of music...

• Members

Well guys, I went to the theater and it turned out to be the eq setting was on... once it was turned off, everything sounded as it should... Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, without owning an ipod, I wouldn't have known what to have looked for right away...

• Members

Well guys, I went to the theater and it turned out to be the eq setting was on... once it was turned off, everything sounded as it should... Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, without owning an ipod, I wouldn't have known what to have looked for right away...

Isn't it great when you have to climb into your climate-destroying car and drive across town because a grown person can't figure out a basic feature on a piece of highly "human engineered" consumer technology?

But you know what?

I've seen issues like this from confused recording "engineers" at GearSlutz who couldn't figure out that some iTunes audio enhancer was turned on. ("Why do my mixes sound so different when I play them back outside my DAW?")

Gotta love it.

Archived