Kind of confusing avatar limitations

veracohr

• Members

I just changed my avatar, and I have to say the stated limitations are kind of confusing:

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 150 by 150 pixels or 9.8 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Comparing dimensions to file size is kind of an apples-oranges thing, isn't it?

My new avatar is 229x92 pixels and 9.2kB. At least I think it's 9.2kB. On my computer it is 12kB, but when I FTP it to my webhost it is 9.2kB. I think that's due to some strange Photoshop association that doesn't carry over when uploaded elsewhere.

So it falls under the 9.8kB limitation, but is over on one of the dimensions. See how it's confusing?

Edit: I guess it resized the image anyway, so it doesn't really matter does it?

• Members

Well fortunately, this is easy to explain!

A pixel normally equals 1 pixel, unless you're using NTSC pixels, in which case they're 0.927 pixels. And a kilobyte equals not 1,000 bytes, which would be the logical thing, but 1,024 bytes. However, those are metric bytes, and SSS uses English/American bytes, which are 1,072 bytes. We also use metric pixels, so actually, 1 pixel = 1.223 pixels.

When you take the color compression into account, those 1.223 pixels actually are more like 900-1000 pixels, but that depends on the conversion factor from metric to US compression, which is currently 1 (metric) pixel = 1.003 US pixels.

See? It's really very easy.

• Members

Oh, silly me! I forget to add those 1.003 US pixels are at sea level, with a relative humidity of 70% (metric). Because I live at about 7,500 feet, with a humidity of about 20%, it's more like 1.007 pixels and your readings may vary as well.

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived