Government Do Not Call Registry f0r Cell Phones

• Members

I just thought I would pass the link on...we're all adults here...I think.
;)

Putting oneself on the government do not call registry is a pretty low impact consequence for one's overcredulousness, but promoting and prolonging these urban legends wastes a lot of time of well-meaning and helpful folks like Lukenskywalker and may upset people for nothing.

When considering whether or not to promote some 'viral information' -- whether it's this updating of semi-ancient do not call registry legends or the political slanders now so in vogue in certain circles -- checking for the facts is quick and painless -- typically less work than continuing to spread false information.

We're all adults. We should all act like responsible ones.

• CMS Author

Ah, some things never go out of style...

True. The Do Not Call list has always accepted cell phone numbers, but because they're essentially unlisted, unless you happen to call a business employing a telemarketer from your cell phone (hence giving them an excuse to call you to solicit further business) most people didn't register their cell phones.

It's a good reminder, though. I didn't register my cell phone in 2003, but given the excuse to re-read the info about the list, I registered it this time around just in case. Why not?

• Members

I just got this link
www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Cell phone #s go public this month...Telemarketers will call, you'll have to pay.

If you can't open the link, here is the number to register; 888-382-1222

Takes about 20 seconds.

in 2009 Webster removed the word gullible from their online dictionary.

a pretty damning OP from someone who can never be wrong.

• Members

in 2009 Webster removed the word gullible from their online dictionary.

a pretty damning OP from someone who can never be wrong.

I am wrong a great deal of the time, and have never been embarassed or ashamed to admit it.

I wouldn't consider myself gullible nor paranoic... I leave that to others who are continually searching for Facists in their underwear drawer.

I posted the link because I wanted some feedback as to it's crediblity.

Got it too....:)

thank y'all:wave:

P.S. Refreshments (Purple Kool Aid) are now being served in the Lobby.

• Members

This is pretty benign as this stuff goes.

But it does show how long misinformation stays in the system and continues to be propagated by well-meaning folks, despite concerted and widespread efforts to debunk it.

Sadly, a lot more people just hit forward message and so on instead of checking FactCheck.org, Snopes, or other fact-checking and urban legend registries.

And that's part of why there are so many people with so many completely cockeyed ideas about reality.

It's a bit frightening at times when one views the results of surveys that attempt to gauge the level of acceptance of completely debunked urban legends of political and other natures.

There are a whole lot of people who continue to hold beliefs as thoroughly discredited as the notion that the earth is flat. Yet even that notion continues to have its true believers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

• Members
I am wrong a great deal of the time, and have never been embarassed or ashamed to admit it.

I wouldn't consider myself gullible nor paranoic... I leave that to others who are continually searching for Facists in their underwear drawer.

I posted the link because I wanted some feedback as to it's crediblity.

Got it too....
:)

thank y'all:wave:

P.S. Refreshments (Purple Kool Aid) are now being served in the Lobby.

With all due respect, I didn't get the impression that you were soliciting feedback with your initial post. It's not implicit that you are, and certainly not explicit. But, you know, no big deal. :)

• Members

With all due respect, I didn't get the impression that you were soliciting feedback with your initial post. It's not implicit that you are, and certainly not explicit. But, you know, no big deal.
:)

Doesn't really matter...I got the feedback I desired, even if the post was nebulous as to it's intent.

As you said 'no big deal', but you have already put in more than the 20 or so seconds it took you to register you phone(s):p

You must be bored...

I am...:bor:

Eagles won't be playing for another hour or so.

Think I'll walk my dog, and then work some more on Matthew Sweets guitarists solo on 'Sick of Myself'

• Members

It's kind of my wheel-spinning-up period of the day. I suck down a small pot or two of coffee and try to get my speed up enough to step onto the moving walkway of life...

;)

But bored? I consider allowing oneself to be bored an invitation to the forces of the universe to do something to un-bore you. And that can go any direction. :D Or... a little aphorism I picked up in college, I think: Only boring people get bored. Uh, present company excluded, of course. ;)

• Members

It's kind of my wheel-spinning-up period of the day. I suck down a small pot or two of coffee and try to get my speed up enough to step onto the moving walkway of life...

;)

But bored? I consider allowing oneself to be bored an invitation to the forces of the universe to do something to un-bore you. And
that
can go any direction.
:D
Or... a little aphorism I picked up in college, I think:
Only boring people get bored
. Uh, present company excluded, of course.
;)

'small pot of coffee' (that's relative) or two,... that translates to me as a 'full pot' (relative too)

However if you examine it , from any Time Zone, any Lifestyle you are minmizing your caffeine 'dependency' and 'Warning Bells' are a clangin'

I'm Doctor Luke, and I'm listenin':lol:

Man, that aphrorism you learned in College, so cool,

Community Colleges were a 'Godsend' to America in the Sixties.

We finished the vocals to Matthew Sweets 'Sick of Myself' last night..

.I did the drum/bass at 4 am today...still workin' on the final nuances of the lead quitar...

those two lead guys...Robert Quine and Richard Lloyd played some kick ass leads....

My Phila Eagles are taking a little 'drumming' from the Redskins.... but all is not lost:thu:

• Members

Robert Quine was one of my favorite guitarists in some ways but it seemed like he always ended up in bands and projects I wasn't really that interested in. With the notable exception of John Zorn and the Voidoids, anyhow. I'll have to check out that Matthew Sweet song. Lloyd was in one of my favorite bands of all time, Television (though I was pretty disappointed in the one solo album of his I bought way back when... made me appreciate Tom Verlaine just that much more. ;) ) EDIT: Well, I guess it's all about context. This didn't do much for me at all. In fact, I really didn't care for the guitars. Everyone's mileage varies, of course.

With re coffee, yeah, this really is a small pot, it's a Mr Coffee "4 cup" pot, which actually makes precisely 2 GearSlutz mugs. (Basically your standard issue office-size coffee mug.)

College -- Long Beach State University (actually it was still a Cal-State College when I started) -- pretty well saved my sanity. I utterly hated school during junior high and most of high school -- and I got a truly rotten education in the Orange Unified School District of Orange, CA, even though I pulled down a 3.85 average there. But in a district where Mark Twain is considered dangerously subversive, it's an uphill slog on the glass mountain in Teflon-soled flip flops. In the rain.

• Members

With re coffee, yeah, this really
is
a small pot, it's a Mr Coffee "4 cup" pot, which actually makes precisely 2 GearSlutz mugs. (Basically your standard issue office-size coffee mug.) gearslutz...you had to go there...
:lol:

College -- Long Beach State University (actually it was still a Cal-State College when I started) -- pretty well saved my sanity. I utterly hated school during junior high and most of high school -- and I got a truly rotten education in the Orange Unified School District of Orange, CA, even though I pulled down a 3.85 average there. But in a district where Mark Twain is considered dangerously subversive, it's an uphill slog on the glass mountain in Teflon-soled flip flops. In the rain.

We share some amazingly similiar, albeit diverse, educational/musical connections.

'Old Guy Glue' seems to be the more imminent and practical bonding agent,

In no way a bad thing:thu:

Peace, Luke

Archived