Nashville numbers question

LiveMusic

• Members

This is a line from a song. Key of D.

D

C G D

An online converter made Nashville numbers as such.

6# 4 1

I was expecting it to show not a 6# but 7b. Seems that was the way I was taught they do it in Nashville, anyway. Any idea?

Also, do most show it as b7 or 7b?

• CMS Author

Once I suggested, in a forum discussion about the use of the Nashville number system, that a studio have a big screen and project the cheat sheet so that everyone could see it. The thought was that it might save time so that everyone wouldn't have to do his own sheet.

Someone with a studio in Nashville who does a lot of "session musician" sessions (he's one himself) chimed in saying that often when he cleans up the studio after a session, he'll pick up the players' notation sheets and they'll all be different. I guess everyone has his own style.

Where's the converter you used? I'd be interested to see it.

• Members

Where's the converter you used? I'd be interested to see it.

I have known of this link for years but it never worked right. He must've done some fixed because it works now! Convert from to key to key or key to Nashville numbers.

http://www.logue.net/xp/advanced_index.htm

My question seems more of music theory question rather than a NN question... should it be a flat or a sharp? Seems I learned that most of them up there usually default to a flat.

EDIT: From the site above's FAQ...

"It is occasionally necessary to sharpen or flatten the numbers 1 through 7 in a song. The Advanced Form allows the user to choose either sharp (#) or flat (b) notation for output, with sharp notation as the default. The advanced form also allows the user to choose whether the "#" of "b" precedes or follows the number. The default is for the "#" or "b" to follow the number."

• CMS Author

I have known of this link for years but it never worked right. He must've done some fixed because it works now! Convert from to key to key or key to Nashville numbers.

I guess I'm just not smart enough, or maybe I just don't grasp how to work it. I either got back what I put in (chords) or an error, no numbers. You'd think that with an input of DGAD it would know it was in the key of D. I was trying to get it to output 1451, but no jazz.

The FAQ suggests that I paste in the lyrics. Suppose there are no lyrics?

Archived