So Mitch Gallagher Interviewed Me at GearFest...Here Are the Videos

Anderton

• Members

When I was at GearFest, Mitch Gallagher interviewed me for the Sweetwater Minute videos he does (which BTW last a lot longer than a minute). It's a two-parter, because it seems like it's impossible to get me to shut up once I get started :)

But as a side note, this also shows what's great about our industry. Even though MF and Sweetwater are competitors, MF was fine with me going to GearFest, and Sweetwater was fine with my being there (and they didn't edit out the mention of Harmony Central, either). Maybe that kind of attitude is why both companies have been successful...and Electronic Musician magazine sponsored my trip, and the seminar I did on looping. This kind of scenario would not happen in many other industries.

Anyway, here are the vids. I hope you like them!

[video=youtube;4NPe5fP3sOA]

[video=youtube;HxT9CBoK-Ls]

• Members

pretty cool. I've traditionally had as much loyalty to music stores as brands of paperclips, but Sweetwater has done some pretty unbelievable, cool things for me the past few years. Right brain indeed rules. Dump your cellphones everyone.

One interview thing I'd like to see though is the obligatory tape-recorder-in-the-background-with-only-a-takeup-reel-on-it, be loaded instead with a second reel of uh .uh ... tape. And maybe even send some automated ff and rew commands to it periodically. That would be a nice touch for interviews that aren't as interesting as those by the exciting and debonaire Craig Anderton.

• Members

That was very chill and cool and non commercial, nice.

Mitch and I go way back (as in waaaaaaay back), he's one of the good guys for sure. So it was a pretty relaxed situation, although I have to say, I caught some of his other interviews and he was equally good at putting people at ease that he didn't know prior to GearFest.

• Members

That was great Craig. Nice to see sit alongside two "giants" as they discuss technology. Back in the day when I was just getting into digital recording, it was Mitches writing that set me straight and obviously everything you have done... just outstanding!

I wish you guys could do more of this video interview/discussion thingy.... theres an idea!

• Members

I've watched the first ten minutes of the "minute". Though I pretty much knew all this stuff, it was still fun to hear you say it.
:D

First 4 minutes of the second video are great, about the left/right brain related to great records of the 60's and 70's. I've been struggling for that kind of facility with the gear to a point where it gets out of my way enough to be creative again basically since I started using gear.

I've come to a few of the same conclusions on my own, like templates. I actually set up a new template yesterday.

It's not just that you need the gear & software mastered, you also need the workflow mastered so you know what you're doing and when to do it. And the workflow should be set up to not impede you when you need to be creative. So I do a lot of imagining how I will affect a vocal part while I'm tracking the vocals, instead of stopping to pull up eq's and delays in the middle of tracking.

Little workflow things can make it or break it for me. When I'm tracking myself with headphones on, the headphone cable can ruin the session. It gets stuck in the chair rollers. It gets snagged on the tuners of the bass. It yanks my head backwards when I try to stand up. Previously I had an elaborate system of cup hooks and rubber bands supporting a headphone cable across the ceiling of my home studio. The headphone cable would drop straight down from above my head, with enough tension not to sag into my face, but enough give from the rubber bands so that I could lean forward and move around without my head getting yanked.

I don't know if this is even a left/right brain thing at this point, but it relates to the struggle of effectively balancing the gear and the music. So if any gear designers are out there, I need a headphone cable handler that works sort of like a car's front seatbelt... always stays where you need it, but still lets you move. I'm sure it's a simple thing, a spring winding a headphone cable inside a little plastic box, which should be easy to fasten wherever you want (like the ceiling above your mix position.)

Wow. tangent.

Archived