The 1961 EXACTA phonograph... take it anywhere!

• Members

David, didn't you post about that even smaller/more portable battery powered player that was marketed in the States a while back?

I know I've mentioned it before in a thread or two, but back when I was a huge hi fi nut in junior high/early high school (before I realized that guys with nice hi fis might get girls but guys who talked about hi fi incessantly seldom or never did), I had a dream that I was back in my old neighborhood I'd moved out of in 1963 (everything cool in my dreams happens there) and someone showed up with a tiny, brushed aluminum looking device about 3 x 5 x 1" (about the size of a coatpocket transistor radio, IOW) with incredible full range stereo sound coming out of it.

For whatever reason, I had the impression in the dream that he was from the future -- but it was all so matter of fact, all I cared about was the incredible sound coming out of it. I don't even think it had a speaker grille or anything. It used small silvery disks about 2-3/4" across with smooth surfaces. When the original Walkman (cassette) came out (in '79) it took a little while while its impact was felt in tech society but one day I thought, Man, that's like that dream I had back in the 60s, except for the headphones and the tape.

When the Walkman CD came out 5 years later, I was really trippin' on the prescience of the dream, although the devices were, of course, larger. When mp3 portables first became popular in the mid-late 90s, I tripped even harder... and, of course, contemplating my old Blackberry which always had a bunch of MP3's on the SD chip, and had a built-in speaker, in addition to headphones, I tripped again, since it was, in some ways, so much like the shirtpocket AM radio I got for my birthday in 5th or 6th grade (only with an earpod for both ears and, of course, stereo) that had seemed to indirectly inspire that long ago dream.

But, of course, even though the size and media of the dream portable seems clunky by today's standards, the one thing that we still haven't got to and that still seems distant (but maybe not quite as impossible as I assumed in the 60s), is the self-contained full range sound without headphones.

When they get that -- then I'll be impressed. ;)

• Members

David, didn't you post about that even smaller/more portable battery powered player that was marketed in the States a while back?
;)

Yep--- with a nekkid lady attached. It was a 1961 PLAYBOY centerfold with a slick little Italian phonograph snuggled into the sand.

• Members

I have something similiar, (curbside find) with the the original bill of sale and manual.

It is a Derby shortwave, AM-FM radio made by Blaupunkt in 1966...the price was 300 smackers back then, (a lot of ducats back then.)

Volkswagen sold them as an accessory that fit under the dash, then you could pull it out by the handle and use it as a portable radio by inserting 6 'D' batteries, it has a very long telescopic antenna.

It's really a handsome piece, green chrome and black...

I only had to clean it up, the owner was obviously a heavy smoker, the push buttons were smeared with years of nicotine build up.

When I put the batteries in after soldering a broken wire, the first song I heard was 'She Loves You; by the Fab Four...I said Wow, all this radio is going to play is 60'S music!

Anyway one Ad for the radio is very similiar to the one Ras posted, a lithe girl at the beach, with the radio on a small table in the forefront of the picture.

Archived