Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in the pub last week and 2 lines came into my head, I already had paper... but needed a pen got one wrote the 1st verse, very pleased with it. as I got more drunk the paper started to fill with crap. But there is definitely something there I can use.

I was on a very long bus ride the other day and had no iPod / Book anything to keep me amused i was just sitting there with my head against the window loads of great ideas floating through my head. I asked a random person for pen and paper, and wrote a song. But I think I left it too late, before writing it down.

I also have a tendency to lose the pieces of paper

I might start carrying a notebook. Sometimes someone will say something and I'll think wow! that's great I can use that, and write it down ASAP
    2011 Guild D-125
    Gibsun J200 - Very appreciateive HCAG caper recepient. Thanks everyone!

Comment

One of these days I'm gonna get me one of those little Sony voice memo thingys.

They're only like $50 or so and you can carry them with you wherever you go.
      "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
      - John Lennon
      Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
      Epiphone Empire
      F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
      Marshall Circle of Tone
      SG ARMY

Comment

I like to write it down.

If I can't and there are some melodies that I want to remember I usually just make up whatever lyrics and that helps me remember them.

Sometimes it's nice to go back and look things anew with a fresh perspective, and you'll find some pretty nice things too that you'd forgotten if not.

But at the same time... I think creation should always be the priority. We shouldn't be dependants on our 'golden' notebook. I mean, it should be a tool to create and go into new directions, not the safe haven to go back and hide.

Comment

I'm with the **************** it camp. If it's genius, I'll remember it...or I'll come up with something just as good later. Also, I like to let things stew before I jump in and start trying to write a song down.

Plus, I can't remember that I wrote something down for 3/4's of the **************** I took the time to write down.
          “Immortal” poets have bemoaned divine aggression against man’s puny shape.
          Tell me about reality noble bards, as your flesh confetti floats across the abyss!
          Being is this clash; it is spilled blood churning through the heart of Ghost Cheetah.

Comment

i write it down. OR, i call my voicemail and leave myself a message. someday, someone will think i'm nuts for singing to my machine all the time, but hey - it works for me.
            WWW.SPLICEMUSIC.COM

Sequencing without software? TOTALLY! Come see what the revolution is all about! Don't just listen - make songs WITH people. Share your loops, your hits, your tracks. Learn from one another. Meet Musicians. HAVE FUN!

We're still building and we want your feedback! Come on out and jam with us!

Comment

Write it down...I lost a damn good lyric and a couple of good riffs because I didn't do this. I now put everything on a minicassette recorder. No matter how bad you may think your idea is at the time, it could be useful later.
              “Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny.” - Frank Zappa

http://www.soundclick.com/ryanbeavers
              http://www.myspace.com/ryan_beavers

Comment

Originally posted by bluesway
                oh.....and by the way....most cell phones have a voicememo feature. that **************** saves my life sometimes

thats my main tool for 'taking notes' i have probably 50+ voicememo clips in my phone ranging from guitar riffs, to lyrics sung, lyrics spoken, and guitar/lyrics together.....if a lyrical idea hits me, and i dont have the ability to write it down...i also use my phones' text message feature to write it down, then just save it as a draft.....only problem with that is remembering its there when i delete my messages.

As much as i try to write any idea down...i have a bad problem of coming up with a melody in my head, that sounds like a top 10 hit...but then when i try to speak/sing that same melody out loud...it sounds like crap.....anyone experience this??

Comment

Great discussion. Even if you have a memory for lyrics and an ability to memorize words then I still think it's good to write it down. Better question: why not write it down?

Comment

WRITE IT!!! Yeah, when I first started writing, I was duped into thinking that I would remember the 'worthy' melodies of my teenage mind. After many decent melodies were flushed into my brain never to return, this proved to be a fallacy for me at least and now I carry a dictaphone where ever I go.

There are countless ways to phrase and space notes. Don't feel like you are inadequate if you can't remember one particular set.

Love,
                    Blake.
                    RIG:
                    Fender 40th anniversary Stratocaster with SD Lil’ ’59 in the bridge
                    Strat/Squire spray painted blue and silver with SD Hot Rails in the bridge and a home brew kill switch.

Ada Mp-1
                    Peavey Classic 60
                    Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab

ProCo Rat, MXR Distortion II, Crybaby Wah, MXR Wylde OD, EHx Holy Grail, EHx Big Muff (reissue), EHx Q-Tron, EHx Small Clone, EHx Small Stone, Boss Flanger, Boss OC-2, Boss Harmonist.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Kai
                      Great discussion. Even if you have a memory for lyrics and an ability to memorize words then I still think it's good to write it down. Better question: why not write it down?

good point.

Comment

I wish I had such an organized system of keeping track of my ideas. But I've never really been that good at organization. Usually, if I have a really good idea, I'll remember it. I've probably lost a few; though I don't really remember any specific instances.

Although it has happened occasionally, where something might happen to trigger an idea for a lyric, it's rare that one will just pop into my head like that. More often than not, I have to be trying to think of an idea in order to come up with one. I keep feeling like there are probably hundreds of potential ideas in everyday life that I'm not picking up on, because I'm just not thinking about writing a song. I'm not always 'on' like I feel I should be. I wish that weren't often the case.

With music, usually I'll play chords on the piano till I find a sequence that I like, and record it. Then I'll try and come up with a melody over it. I never worry about melodies just popping into my head (doesn't happen anyway) that I won't be able to remember later, because 98% of the time, my melodies wind up get revised and edited umpteen times. I never really trust the first melodic idea that comes to mind, because I'm always afraid I may have ripped it off from somewhere. Because the final result is almost never the same as what the initial idea was, there's really never anything important to remember. The chord sequence is really the only thing I record. And I even find myself making changes to that after the fact as well.

That said, I definitely think that recording or writing down your ideas is a very good habit to have, especially if you tend to forget them. Why rely solely on memory if you don't have to?

Comment

I'm in the Write it down camp. I'll forget it if i don't write it down, and you never know what you'll be able to put into a song.
                          I actually carry a little memo book in my backpocket just in case something pops into my head. that way I'll always have somewhere to write it down on
                          "Music is like a religion, it will be in the after life too."- Jimi Hendrix
                          Myspace.com/thebreakfastmachine
                          We're trying to live life Sunny side up

Comment

Write it down. Always. I write my lyrics on anything I can find. 99% of the time I carry a small notebook but if it is not with me for some god forsaken reason, a receipt, napkin, the inside of a book cover, the edge of a newspaper will do.

For me, if I don't write it down, I may remember the idea or a few words, but I have lost that spontaneous phrasing momentum that needs to be born from my head. Not good. I am a photographer and its the same idea - be spontaneous or its gone - the light, the event, the mood. It can't bring it back again just because I was unprepared or in a zone.

Keep writing, talking, or calling - because those who think it is a nutzy ritual usually can not write.

Comment

people who write all this **************** down are narcissistic weasles. I see it happen all the time, some gangly looking dork is sitting on the bus listening to his walkman, or walking down the street and all of a sudden he/she will go insane and start tearing through their backpack looking for their well worn and beloved notebook (often decorated with cut and pasted photos of favorite musicians, movie actors, and doodled hearts and ****************). Then they start scribbling like mad...even if it's only like four words, like those four words are gonna vanish if they aren't written down as quickly as possible and w/ great public display.

Those people are stupid. You don't want to be stupid...do you?
                              “Immortal” poets have bemoaned divine aggression against man’s puny shape.
                              Tell me about reality noble bards, as your flesh confetti floats across the abyss!
                              Being is this clash; it is spilled blood churning through the heart of Ghost Cheetah.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate
                                people who write all this **************** down are narcissistic weasles. I see it happen all the time, some gangly looking dork is sitting on the bus listening to his walkman, or walking down the street and all of a sudden he/she will go insane and start tearing through their backpack looking for their well worn and beloved notebook (often decorated with cut and pasted photos of favorite musicians, movie actors, and doodled hearts and ****************). Then they start scribbling like mad...even if it's only like four words, like those four words are gonna vanish if they aren't written down as quickly as possible and w/ great public display.

Those people are stupid. You don't want to be stupid...do you?

Didn't you used to be helpful? I'm not sure I understand this turn for the worse. Anything we can help with?
                                Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X