Write it down vs. I'll remember it if it's worth it

• Members

I wish I had such an organized system of keeping track of my ideas. But I've never really been that good at organization. Usually, if I have a really good idea, I'll remember it. I've probably lost a few; though I don't really remember any specific instances.

Although it has happened occasionally, where something might happen to trigger an idea for a lyric, it's rare that one will just pop into my head like that. More often than not, I have to be trying to think of an idea in order to come up with one. I keep feeling like there are probably hundreds of potential ideas in everyday life that I'm not picking up on, because I'm just not thinking about writing a song. I'm not always 'on' like I feel I should be. I wish that weren't often the case.

With music, usually I'll play chords on the piano till I find a sequence that I like, and record it. Then I'll try and come up with a melody over it. I never worry about melodies just popping into my head (doesn't happen anyway) that I won't be able to remember later, because 98% of the time, my melodies wind up get revised and edited umpteen times. I never really trust the first melodic idea that comes to mind, because I'm always afraid I may have ripped it off from somewhere. Because the final result is almost never the same as what the initial idea was, there's really never anything important to remember. The chord sequence is really the only thing I record. And I even find myself making changes to that after the fact as well.

That said, I definitely think that recording or writing down your ideas is a very good habit to have, especially if you tend to forget them. Why rely solely on memory if you don't have to?

• Members

I'm in the Write it down camp. I'll forget it if i don't write it down, and you never know what you'll be able to put into a song.

I actually carry a little memo book in my backpocket just in case something pops into my head. that way I'll always have somewhere to write it down on

• Members

Write it down. Always. I write my lyrics on anything I can find. 99% of the time I carry a small notebook but if it is not with me for some god forsaken reason, a receipt, napkin, the inside of a book cover, the edge of a newspaper will do.

For me, if I don't write it down, I may remember the idea or a few words, but I have lost that spontaneous phrasing momentum that needs to be born from my head. Not good. I am a photographer and its the same idea - be spontaneous or its gone - the light, the event, the mood. It can't bring it back again just because I was unprepared or in a zone.

Keep writing, talking, or calling - because those who think it is a nutzy ritual usually can not write.

• Members

people who write all this {censored} down are narcissistic weasles. I see it happen all the time, some gangly looking dork is sitting on the bus listening to his walkman, or walking down the street and all of a sudden he/she will go insane and start tearing through their backpack looking for their well worn and beloved notebook (often decorated with cut and pasted photos of favorite musicians, movie actors, and doodled hearts and {censored}). Then they start scribbling like mad...even if it's only like four words, like those four words are gonna vanish if they aren't written down as quickly as possible and w/ great public display.

Those people are stupid. You don't want to be stupid...do you?

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

people who write all this {censored} down are narcissistic weasles. I see it happen all the time, some gangly looking dork is sitting on the bus listening to his walkman, or walking down the street and all of a sudden he/she will go insane and start tearing through their backpack looking for their well worn and beloved notebook (often decorated with cut and pasted photos of favorite musicians, movie actors, and doodled hearts and {censored}). Then they start scribbling like mad...even if it's only like four words, like those four words are gonna vanish if they aren't written down as quickly as possible and w/ great public display.

Didn't you used to be helpful? I'm not sure I understand this turn for the worse. Anything we can help with?

• Members

We don't have to be "stupid" or "narcissistic" or any other really quality adjective you have used. I can not speak for everyone here, but I can and will speak for me.

I, for one, simply have the NEED to write. There is no choice for me. And if I am going to use the energy and take the time to do so, I want glean the very best out of my work.

I have (safely) pulled over on the highway, written a song in less than seven minutes due to inspiration. This type of inspiration goes for every artist, of every type, over every century. You can try and bust my bubble with your judgmental attitude, yet, you can not take away my inspiration.

If see some "gangly looking dork" on a street, with even a glimmmer of inspiration in his eye, I hope he sits there and writes and writes and writes if nothing more than to piss people like you off. I would give him my last dollar to write on too. And as I watch him/her write, I will smile and be thankful even people like you can't take the innate desire to write away from anybody.

G~

• Members

I never never never never never ever count on remembering. Even if its a small short passage. I write it down, or ,most often sing it into my home phone or cellphone's voicemail.....record a guitar bit straight into the soundcard into recording software...anything. Besides hoping I remember.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by gracepoolesptnt

We don't have to be "stupid" or "narcissistic" or any other really quality adjective you have used. I can not speak for everyone here, but I can and will speak for me.

I, for one, simply have the NEED to write. There is no choice for me. And if I am going to use the energy and take the time to do so, I want glean the very best out of my work.

I have (safely) pulled over on the highway, written a song in less than seven minutes due to inspiration. This type of inspiration goes for every artist, of every type, over every century. You can try and bust my bubble with your judgmental attitude, yet, you can not take away my inspiration.

If see some "gangly looking dork" on a street, with even a glimmmer of inspiration in his eye, I hope he sits there and writes and writes and writes if nothing more than to piss people like you off. I would give him my last dollar to write on too. And as I watch him/her write, I will smile and be thankful even people like you can't take the innate desire to write away from anybody.

G~

I'm not sure that I want to take "the innate desire to write" away from anyone, though I suspect that I do. Nor do I deny that certain people feel compelled to write or paint, or fart in public...I certainly imagine these gangly people feel inspired when they sit down to scribble in their stupid notebooks.

And really, it's okay with me that they do so...just so long as I never have to listen to or hear about the absolute crap they're scribbling down.

I'm not a fascist. People should do as they like for the most part. I just don't think the scribblers here are writing down anything worthwhile. Soooooooooo, i think if a person has one kind of compulsive behavior that's harmless, it's fine for them to engage in it...I just don't think that the scribbling compulsion, for the most part, is a very valuable songwriting device.

• Members

"I'm not sure that I want to take "the innate desire to write" away from anyone, though I suspect that I do." ________

Huh? Yes or no. Do or don't. You are the criticizor here. Perhaps you should make up your mind before you share it.

"Nor do I deny that certain people feel compelled to write or paint, or fart in public..."_________

compel >verb 1. force or oblige to do something

"I certainly imagine these gangly people feel inspired when they sit down to scribble in their stupid notebooks."_______

inspired >adjective 1 showing or characterized by inspiration

inspiration >noun 1 the process or quality of being inspired. 2 a person or thing that inspires. 3 a sudden clever or timely idea.

Are you getting the point here? Do you make fun of little kids practicing the piano because they aren't producing Mozart-quality level sound? Why would you criticize people who may or may not write at different levels? or how or where they may write? These people may write because they have no other release due to judgmental people like you who surround and suffocate self-expression any other way. Their heart mission on paper may be all of what is keeping them going on a particular day. Even if you consider it drivel.... even it if IS drivel. Who are you to say?

What do you have against tall, thin awkward people anyway? I know! Are you short?! How odd you keep using the word "gangly" in a derogatory sense. Maybe you could spend some time thinking about that...

"And really, it's okay with me that they do so...just so long as I never have to listen to or hear about the absolute crap they're scribbling down."_________

I doubt very very much that these "gangly" people sat on street corners and door stoops and looked up into your critical eyes and asked you to read their heart words.

"I'm not a fascist. People should do as they like for the most part. I just don't think the scribblers here are writing down anything worthwhile."________________

Last I checked this was Open Jam=choice of where to read or not, write or not. Even if you received a gold engraved invitation from every person posting here, it's still your choice to stay or go, to write or not.

No one in this thread, but you, is critizing anyone's creative process. We are critizing ourselves and sharing what works best and what doesn't.

"Soooooooooo, i think if a person has one kind of compulsive behavior that's harmless, it's fine for them to engage in it...I just don't think that the scribbling compulsion, for the most part, is a very valuable songwriting device." ________________

Do you understand this is the crux of the whole matter: YOU don't get to decide that process for anyone except yourself. You have no value in my creative process equation.

G~

• Members

picture of Pompiousplaymate:

troll.jpg

• Members

"I'm not sure that I want to take "the innate desire to write" away from anyone, though I suspect that I do." ________

1. Huh? Yes or no. Do or don't. You are the criticizor here. Perhaps you should make up your mind before you share it.

"Nor do I deny that certain people feel compelled to write or paint, or fart in public..."_________

2. compel >verb 1. force or oblige to do something

"I certainly imagine these gangly people feel inspired when they sit down to scribble in their stupid notebooks."_______

3. inspired >adjective 1 showing or characterized by inspiration

inspiration >noun 1 the process or quality of being inspired. 2 a person or thing that inspires. 3 a sudden clever or timely idea.

4. Are you getting the point here? Do you make fun of little kids practicing the piano because they aren't producing Mozart-quality level sound? Why would you criticize people who may or may not write at different levels? or how or where they may write? These people may write because they have no other release due to judgmental people like you who surround and suffocate self-expression any other way. Their heart mission on paper may be all of what is keeping them going on a particular day. Even if you consider it drivel.... even it if IS drivel. Who are you to say?

5. What do you have against tall, thin awkward people anyway? I know! Are you short?! How odd you keep using the word "gangly" in a derogatory sense. Maybe you could spend some time thinking about that...

"And really, it's okay with me that they do so...just so long as I never have to listen to or hear about the absolute crap they're scribbling down."_________

6. I doubt very very much that these "gangly" people sat on street corners and door stoops and looked up into your critical eyes and asked you to read their heart words.

"I'm not a fascist. People should do as they like for the most part. I just don't think the scribblers here are writing down anything worthwhile."________________

7. Last I checked this was Open Jam=choice of where to read or not, write or not. Even if you received a gold engraved invitation from every person posting here, it's still your choice to stay or go, to write or not.

No one in this thread, but you, is critizing anyone's creative process. We are critizing ourselves and sharing what works best and what doesn't.

"Soooooooooo, i think if a person has one kind of compulsive behavior that's harmless, it's fine for them to engage in it...I just don't think that the scribbling compulsion, for the most part, is a very valuable songwriting device." ________________

8. Do you understand this is the crux of the whole matter: YOU don't get to decide that process for anyone except yourself. You have no value in my creative process equation.

G~

1-7, WTF are you talking about?

8. What I hear you saying is, "well, you might be right or wrong, but I don't care."

I never asked you to care. It's obvious you do. I'm sorry.

• Members

1-7, WTF are you talking about?

8. What I hear you saying is, "well, you might be right or wrong, but I don't care."

I never asked you to care. It's obvious you do. I'm sorry.

1-7. Can you not stick to the issue(s) YOU brought up instead of getting defensive and angry?

8. There is no maybe about it: you are wrong for criticizing the methods of other individual's creative process. And yup, I do care - and I am not sorry.

Happy Columbus Day to you.

G~

• Members

1-7. Can you not stick to the issue(s) YOU brought up instead of getting defensive and angry?

8. There is no maybe about it: you are wrong for criticizing the methods of other individual's creative process. And yup, I do care - and I am not sorry.

Happy Columbus Day to you.

G~

you didn't offer any rebuttal. you put words in my mouth. You pointed out the meanings of words I used correctly and you think I'm short? again, wtf?

8. So, in what sense am I wrong? Is this a factual sense? Or is it that I have an obligation not to criticize the creative process of other people? Either claim is bat{censored} crazy. Please, enlighten me.

• Members

you didn't offer any rebuttal. you put words in my mouth. You pointed out the meanings of words I used correctly and you think I'm short? again, wtf?

8. So, in what sense am I wrong? Is this a factual sense? Or is it that I have an obligation not to criticize the creative process of other people? Either claim is bat{censored} crazy. Please, enlighten me.

Mmmm, no. You did not offer rebuttal in the last exchange by posting "1-7". I did not put words in your mouth at any time. There are only about a dozen or two there at best. You are talking in circles and this is pointless. You don't appear want to engage in actual conversation and keep posting "wtf?" like it is new information each and every single time. You seem to have the deep to to continue arguing and being judgmental.

So good luck. I am done waltzing in this circle.

Be well,

G~

• Members

1. Huh? Yes or no. Do or don't. You are the criticizor here. Perhaps you should make up your mind before you share it.

2. compel >verb 1. force or oblige to do something

3. inspired >adjective 1 showing or characterized by inspiration

4. Are you getting the point here? Do you make fun of little kids practicing the piano because they aren't producing Mozart-quality level sound? Why would you criticize people who may or may not write at different levels? or how or where they may write? These people may write because they have no other release due to judgmental people like you who surround and suffocate self-expression any other way. Their heart mission on paper may be all of what is keeping them going on a particular day. Even if you consider it drivel.... even it if IS drivel. Who are you to say?

5. What do you have against tall, thin awkward people anyway? I know! Are you short?! How odd you keep using the word "gangly" in a derogatory sense. Maybe you could spend some time thinking about that...

6. I doubt very very much that these "gangly" people sat on street corners and door stoops and looked up into your critical eyes and asked you to read their heart words.

7. Last I checked this was Open Jam=choice of where to read or not, write or not. Even if you received a gold engraved invitation from every person posting here, it's still your choice to stay or go, to write or not.

8. Do you understand this is the crux of the whole matter: YOU don't get to decide that process for anyone except yourself. You have no value in my creative process equation.

G~

okay, I'll respond point by point.

1. You say I want to take from people the desire to write. I never said that. I cosider the idea after you bring it up...because it's not something I'd ever thought about. That's the words in my mouth part.

2. thanks, I understand the word I used

3. again, I used a word correctly

4. More words in my mouth. Not scribbling {censored} down in a journal every time something pops in your head is not neccessarily repressing personal expression. Again, I don't propose that these people should not be allowed to write {censored} down...but I think the compulsion can be very detrimental to the process of songwriting, insofar as ideas are solidified as images, tropes, cliches and then disengaged. This is my criticism of the practice...though I did not annunciate it as such in my earlier post.

5. I'll do that.

6. You are wrong in your assumption.

7. non-sequitur

8. again, not sure what your point is. I reaffirm my claim that whatever it is, it's bat{censored} crazy. please clarify.

i was trolling...but your critique of my trolling is not apt.

Archived