Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's using an iPhone app for songwriting?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's using an iPhone app for songwriting?

I just got an iPhone and am very interested in some sort of 4 track recorder with metronome. Just to grab ideas when I'm out and about. Seems to me, with a build in metronome, the ability to do simple overdubs, export file capability and a simple punch in or two... that might be a very powerful thing to have with me in my pocket.

I'm not really into any synths or beat production. This is to capture me singing into the mic along with a metronome. Anybody?

Here's what looks interesting so far.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/fourtrack/

That seems well worth $4.99!

Comment

I have an iPhone 4 and got one with lots of memory so I could use it for demos.

I looked around for a bit for a recording app when I first got it, but couldn't decide which one to get, and I just got in the habit of using the voice memo recorder that came stock.

AmpliTude was recommended to me by some folks when I first got it. It is compatible with iRig which allows you to plug in an instrument cable.

I'll be curious to see what you find out though. I'd love to be able to do some multi-tracking.

Comment

I have this on the iPAD

http://www.harmonicdog.com/

I assume there is a iphone version - works well

Im sure either will do what you want

Comment

Nope. Not one apple product in my house, as far as I know.
          Don't listen to Justin.
          LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic
            View Post

I have this on the iPAD

http://www.harmonicdog.com/

I assume there is a iphone version - works well

Im sure either will do what you want

This ^ looks perfect. I just did a quick search on their website to check the punchin capabilities amd... bingo. I'm in. Thanks.

Comment

Lee, if you end up going the harmonic dog route, can you post a review?

I checked it out some last night. It looks cool, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough about daws to know if it is good one for me or not.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rhino55
                View Post

Lee, if you end up going the harmonic dog route, can you post a review?

I checked it out some last night. It looks cool, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough about daws to know if it is good one for me or not.

I did pick it up and run it through a couple of quick tests. Super easy to use. I am not interested in any sort of EQ or compression. It does have both anyway. I won't use either. I'm not making records here, I'm writing.

What it does have that I need. An easy way to set up a metronome and enable a track to record with the internal iPhone mic. Check. It was easy and intuitive. An easy means to punch in? Check. Piece of cake.

What it doesn't have... the ability to edit.

I get a lot of mileage out of moving parts around. That would really make this app. To be able to grab a line and move it over a couple beats, to pull out a section of the chorus and use it instead to build a bridge. That kind of stuff I do all the time in Pro Tools. It would be great for writing.

But most importantly, I needed a quick sketch pad. This is it. Setting up the monitor through either the speaker or the ear buds was super easy. Over dubbing with the ear buds worked great.

One very simple but clever innovation is the way the chosen control fills the screen. iPhones are small. Once you touch a fader or a pan knob it grows to fill the screen so you can actually set it without having to use a pin as a stylus or something. Simple but totally useful and smart.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                  View Post

I did pick it up and run it through a couple of quick tests. Super easy to use. I am not interested in any sort of EQ or compression. It does have both anyway. I won't use either. I'm not making records here, I'm writing.

What it does have that I need. An easy way to set up a metronome and enable a track to record with the internal iPhone mic. Check. It was easy and intuitive. An easy means to punch in? Check. Piece of cake.

I get a lot of mileage out of moving parts around. That would really make this app. To be able to grab a line and move it over a couple beats, to pull out a section of the chorus and use it instead to build a bridge. That kind of stuff I do all the time in Pro Tools. It would be great for writing.

But most importantly, I needed a quick sketch pad. This is it. Setting up the monitor through either the speaker or the ear buds was super easy. Over dubbing with the ear buds worked great.

One very simple but clever innovation is the way the chosen control fills the screen. iPhones are small. Once you touch a fader or a pan knob it grows to fill the screen so you can actually set it without having to use a pin as a stylus or something. Simple but totally useful and smart.

Cool. Thanks for the review.

I'm thinking I'll have to pick this up

Comment

View Post

This?

http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=783

Comment

View Post

Yeah, I saw that. I love the finger graphic. You can move entire regions but you can't do a basic cut. Just being able to slice your region would be a huge step for this app.

Comment

View Post

Yeah, I saw that. I love the finger graphic. You can move entire regions but you can't do a basic cut. Just being able to slice your region would be a huge step for this app.

No?

http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1096

Comment

View Post

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X