PROD - Certain Company - Real Drums

bee3

• Members

Not listening on the best speakers, but the snare feels a little dead to me, like it needs more life.  Couldn't tell you how to make that happen, though.  It also sounded like the toms were a little too heavy, that might just be EQ.

One other thing, did you add reverb to the vocal?  It sounded like more than before and I think it might be a little too much.

• Members

I'll have to work on that snare... We only mic'ed the top, and not the bottom... which is something I would have done differently in retrospect.  I'll have to play around with EQ... and yes, the Toms are a bit hot I think.  I did add a bit more reverb on the vox.  Too much?  

• Moderators

Cool. i definitely open up your overheads a bit more in the width department. 30% is pretty tight. Personally I like some of that room sound surrounding all the instruments And having the sizzle of the ride cymbal spread out in the nice open way. Right now you have it tight which is cool for certain kinds of tracks but I think here you've got more of an open band feel.

And something else to try, take the overheads out of the compressed bus. Of course the Beatles are renowned for their compressed drum tracks and that's awesome. But you're not really treating them that way anyway. I take the overheads out of the compressed bus and not use any compression on them at all. Getting them to sound nice and natural and spread out wide. I think that will go a long way toward making your drums come alive.

• Members

This could be a really cool situation...  last month, I met with a Mastering Pro... and he's who convinced me to do it right by using real drums.  I'm about to sign on to have him master my stuff, but also mix/tutor with me.  He's got a lot of pro experience, so this may be worth the lessons alone, let alone getting a pro mix/mastering job out of it.

Archived