"Someone New" -- final (?) with demo

LCK

• Members

I decided to switch to the other title.

This is a very rough demo. Had a bit of a frog in my throat, did it in one take, no headphones, a few guitar flubs here and there, the usual whistling break, etc. But I hope it gives you the general idea of things.

"Someone New"

(3:51)

V.1

When I awake

and see you smile

I

• Members

It's lovely, Lee.  I like that you brought her leaving up to the first bridge.  That change is always going to be something of a surprise, but now at least you have a melodic change and "it's funny" paving the way.

• Moderators

LCK wrote:

I decided to switch to the other title.

This is a very rough demo. Had a bit of a frog in my throat, did it in one take, no headphones, a few guitar flubs here and there, the usual whistling break, etc. But I hope it gives you the general idea of things.

"
Someone New"

(3:51)

V.1

When I awake

and see you smile

I

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

You've totally hit everything just right. It is only a few words, but they are so strongly idiomatic of the 40's. These were both picked up by ear. I didn't read while listening. I only made note of the words that
sounded
 wrong to me.

roving

my darling

The bridges both have 40isms but you really make them work in those spots. They work because they have a reason to be there. But both roving and my darling feeling out of place in this little world of a tune you've created.

Other than that, I love this. But I do feel those two little spots are huge to the ear as bumps in the road. This isn't a 40's song. Lots of stuff you do, that is perfect, but I don't think that's the case here.

You're right, I was (and am) trying to fit this song into that other slot.

I agree about "roving" & "my darling," and with Justin O's uncertainty about letting "romantic tingle" slide.

Meanwhile, I have another tune (besides the one I used with the other lyric) waiting in the batter's box, one that better fits the Great American Songbook style.

What to do...

Archived