No announcement yet.

August Showcase Thread?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Showcase Thread?

I didn't see a showcase thread for August, so I thought I'd create one to post this interesting development.

Laura Ainsworth, who recently recorded two of my songs for her new CD Necessary Evil, put up my song "Last Train to Mercerville" for consideration in the category of best new song.

They were denied because "the song has previously been recorded..."

There are numerous Johnny Mercer song titles mentioned throughout the song, and the coda "quotes" some of Mercer's songs, melodically. However, this is a brand new song that has never been recorded before.

Anyone have any ideas on the reason the Grammys might have made this decision?

Just asking...

PS: I just learned that the Grammy's pulled a version off my songwriting blog (see link below) as proof that the song is not new. http://kelleytunes.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-last-train-to-mercerville.html

But, as I told the producers of the CD, "It's an honor just to be submitted for a nomination..."

“Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

UPDATE: I'm told the song is now being accepted for consideration in the best song category.

It's a million-to-one shot, but it's something...

“Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

• davie
      davie commented
      Editing a comment

LCK wrote:

UPDATE: I'm told the song is now being accepted for consideration in the best song category.

Nice. Good luck

So what made them change their minds?

• rickidoo
      rickidoo commented
      Editing a comment

LCK wrote:

THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!!  I wish you success!  Wow!

• blue2blue
      blue2blue commented
      Editing a comment

LCK wrote:

Great!

I'm so glad you got that sorted. But it did ruin a perflectly good chance for me to take yet another cheap shot at the Grammys. Oh, well, something tells me I'll have plenty of chances in the future...  grin 

Attached Files

You mean to tell me the music industry wasn't prepared for an inevitability of 21st century technology?  I, for one, am shocked!

Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

I thought I was done with this one, but listening to it over on my buddy's speakers made me realize the piano at the end was really the lead instrument and deserved to be more than just background texture.  I fired up the DAW fixed that, and also took the time to have my kids add a bit to the end.  I'd been meaning to do that and after hearing it, I'm glad I did.

http://picosong.com/ycYv

Sorry I've been mostly just posting mix/master stuff lately, but that's all I've been really doing.  I have one new tune in the works that will be posted soon, I hope.

Don't listen to Justin.
      LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

• Oswlek
        Oswlek commented
        Editing a comment

Oswlek wrote:

I thought I was done with this one, but listening to it over on my buddy's speakers made me realize the piano at the end was really the lead instrument and deserved to be more than just background texture.  I fired up the DAW fixed that, and also took the time to have my kids add a bit to the end.  I'd been meaning to do that and after hearing it, I'm glad I did.

http://picosong.com/ycYv

Sorry I've been mostly just posting mix/master stuff lately, but that's all I've been really doing.  I have one new tune in the works that will be posted soon, I hope.

I know it can be exhausting keeping up with my mixes, but I promise that this is done and worth check out again, particularly the ending.

Working...
    X