Alesis DM6

Pocock

• Members

Is anyone familiar with this electronic kit? My soon-to-be 7 year old son is interested in learning drums and we live in a 2 flat (neighbors live above us), so an acoustic kit is not really an option. A co-worker of mine is offering to sell his Alesis DM6 for $200. Seems like a great price considering these kits are $400-$500 new.

Anyways, not really interested in the pricing but more about if this is a decent kit to learn on. I play guitar, not drums, so I'm not sure what the negative impact, if any, there is to learning on an electronic kit. I'm guessing the kick drum will be unrealistic as far as feel/response but is it enough for some of you drummers to discourage learning on this kit?

I welcome all thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,

• Members

Hi, I started playing drums in the 80's and have had 3 acoustic kits and for the past few years, a Roland TD-4 kit. I don't know much at all about Alesis kits, but I've heard a few talk about them being okay and I think I've played around on one at the music store a few times. For a beginning student, it may be okay.

I Think that it's the entry model since it lists only 10 presets and doesn't seem to have a true stereo output, or left and right channel. A few of the others cons MIGHT be the limited sounds you could get and it may not be expandable or able to add on to?? But to have something to hit, play and practice on, it make be a good fit? Going from an e-kit to an acoustic takes a little bit of getting used to but it's not that hard. On a real kit, you can hit each drum and cymbal 100 different ways and get 100 different sounds, on an e-kit, if you hit the pad in the right spot with enough force you get one drum sound, now most e-kits play lower volume with softer hits and louder with heavier hits, but the "sound" stays the same, especially on the entry level e-kits.

Also even with your son on headphones plugged in, the sticking sound of the sticks hitting the pads and the thump of the bass pedal may still be somewhat heard. Like someone thumping and playing on phone books and pillows so it's a good thing your neighbors live above you and not the other way around because the bass pedal my still thump the floor a little. If you don't have much money and just want to see if your son will like drumming, then it may be a good fit, but if you ever want something that may do more, last longer or you can add too, then you may wait and save up more. Just my limited opinion since I don't know too much about Alesis. Hope it helps.

• Members

it is a great way to start cheaply! I bought parts for a DM5 many years ago and still have a nice custom built set. some advanced features are not available, like cymbal choking and others, but it has many different sounds and will teach him some midi and electronics if he gets into it... and he will learn he doesn't have to beat the crap out of the drums to get good sound... many drummers just don't get it.

Archived