Deal or no deal?

RobWild

• Members

Hey everyone! I have unfortunately been without drums for a while since I moved away for college and had to sell my old Sonor kit. I am finally in a position to get a kit again, but have been out of the loop for a little while and am not sure what to get. My old kit was a Sonor Force 1003. I'd like to upgrade at least a little from that, but I don't currently have the budget for a top-of-the-line kit, so I'm looking for something mid-range-ish. Been scouring Craigslist for a few weeks now. I stumbled upon this today: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/msg/4542578204.html

Never played a Mapex kit before, but the Meridians seem to have solid reviews and look like they are a nice mid-range kit. Whaddaya think...is this worth pursuing? Obviously my first order of business would be upgrading the cymbals, ha!

Thanks! :)

• Members
Also' date=' look at the pic. The house is well kept with nice furniture. Looks like the kit is well kept also from what I could see. I'd be all over that for $300.00!!![/quote']

He said it's being stored at his grandparents' house, so the looks could be deceiving. Still, the kit itself definitely looks well cared for.

So it sounds like this is a good bet! I'm unfortunately living 8 hours away from this guy right now, but I'm heading down his way this coming weekend to visit my family. I told him I'm fully planning on buying them after I take a look at them in person and make sure everything checks out, so hopefully they'll still be available by then. I would just have a family member pick them up for me, but for such a low price, I want to inspect them in person and make sure they're actually in as good a condition as he says they are.

Anyway, thanks everyone for chiming in! I'll let ya know how it goes.

• Members

Man, I'm starting to wish I wouldn't have sold off all my AAXs and HHXs when I sold my kit a couple years ago. Ah, well, I guess now I get to experience the joy of building up a new collection from scratch! :)

• Members
Man' date=' I'm starting to wish I wouldn't have sold off all my AAXs and HHXs when I sold my kit a couple years ago. Ah, well, I guess now I get to experience the joy of building up a new collection from scratch! :)[/quote']

I'm sure there is an archived thread here that we could drag up and say "Told you so!" :D

• Members

RW when you're ready send me a pm cuz I've got a few cymbals I'm not using any more:

A Zild 20" med Ride and 18" thin Crash

K Custom 20" Dark Ride

A Custom 14" hats

Sabian AA 20" Raw Ride

Will do! It might be a little bit before I have the dough to splurge on cymbals, but I'll be sure to let you know if I end up in the market for any of those.

• Members

After further consideration, I decided that for $300 I'm willing to risk it and snag 'em before someone else does. Just called my old man and he went and grabbed them for me. Can't wait to head down there and pick them up next week!

Wooohoooo, after about 4 long years, I'm officially a drummer again! :D

• Members

Thanks, everyone! I'm so stoked to bang on some tubs again!

I'd like to get a 14" floor tom to bridge the gap between the 12" and the 16" toms...found one online for fairly cheap in the same color, but it's Meridian maple instead of birch. Do you think the difference will be noticeable in, say, a live setting? How about a home studio setting? I also found a 14" Meridian birch floor tom, but it's $50 more expensive. I don't have a problem paying the extra $50 if the maple tom is going to stick out like a sore thumb, but I might as well save a little dough if there's not going to be a noticeable difference, anyway, eh?

• Members

There will be some difference between maple and birch, which you could get around with different tunings and heads. The downside is that one tom will be more work figuring out which heads and tunings to use, where as the birch would be the same as the other birch toms. It may not stick out so much in a live setting, but it would require more EQing to shape the tone when recording so it sounds like it belongs with the kit. That's just my thoughts.

• Members

I would spend the extra $50. My thoughts are you might wind up spending a little money experimenting with different heads looking to match the sound, and seeing that you got a bargain on the set, you could recoup the added expenditure should you decide to resell them somewhere down the road.

• Members
There will be some difference between maple and birch' date=' which you could get around with different tunings and heads. The downside is that one tom will be more work figuring out which heads and tunings to use, where as the birch would be the same as the other birch toms. It may not stick out so much in a live setting, but it would require more EQing to shape the tone when recording so it sounds like it belongs with the kit. That's just my thoughts.[/quote']

Sounds like it's a little more trouble than it's worth. That's kinda what I figured, but I thought I better see what others' opinions were just in case.

• Members
I would spend the extra $50. My thoughts are you might wind up spending a little money experimenting with different heads looking to match the sound' date=' and seeing that you got a bargain on the set, you could recoup the added expenditure should you decide to resell them somewhere down the road. [/quote']

Good point...it's probably cheaper (and it's certainly less time-consuming) in the long run to just get the birch tom. Looks like that's the route I'll go, then. Thanks for your input!

Now I just need to save up some more dough, 'cause after upgrading my cymbals I'm not gonna have enough for EITHER floor tom! :)

Archived