Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Removing smoke damage

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing smoke damage

Hey everybody! 

I've been doing some rather low level drum cleaning and detailing in my spare time and I'm starting to wonder about some more advanced things I can do to bring the drums that I work on back to life.  Right now I'm working on a coworker's Gretsch Pure Wood Renown and a Pearl Dennis Chambers signature snare. The Gretsch is coming along very nicely, but I have significant smoke damage/discolouration on the Pearl's finish that isn't coming out by traditional polishing.  Does anybody have any safe ideas for removing this? 

Thanks! !!

-Sean.C

Depending on a number of things it may not be removable. It could be common for that finish/that year, sun damage, etc, for all any of us know. You may want to do a search to see if there were any issues with the finish,
    I wouldn't do anything more than clean it with a non-amoneia based cleaner, and possibly polish it.
    Just my .02

Comment

You could try Magic Eraser. If the Pearl snare isn't laquer, you can even use 90 - 99 % rubbing alcohol instead of water.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
      <div class="signaturecontainer">
      <div class="bbcode_container">
      <div class="bbcode_quote">
      <div class="quote_container">
      <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

SChapman wrote:

... but I have significant smoke damage/discolouration on the Pearl's finish that isn't coming out by traditional polishing.  Does anybody have any safe ideas for removing this? 

Welcome to the forum, Sean! Always cool to see new names!

What's the finish on the Pearl snare? Is it laquer? Paint? A wrap? Just trying to check out the variables.

Music, music, I hear music

Comment

• SChapman
          SChapman commented
          Editing a comment

Hey everybody! Thanks for the love! 

The snare in question is a laquer finish. It's supposed to be white but unfortunately it is stained. It's not stained in a way that light would be the culprit. It certainly has a darker smoke hue to it than most light damage would give. 

Thanks for the help again, guys! Any advice is good advice! 

- Sean

Working...
      X