Anybody using the Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 as an electronic kit?

CHIP ROBERTS

• Members

I'm very interested in the Yamaha DTX-Multi 12. I DO NOT want an entire electronic drum kit. I want to roll in to the gig with the Multi 12, a kick trigger & pedal, a hi hat trigger/pedal, a throne, and a stick bag.

I want the Multi 12 for the size, 12 pads, and the ability to add external trigger pads. If any of you are using the Multi 12 as a kit, it would be great if you could answer a few questions I have.

- "I want to roll in to the gig with the Multi 12, a stand for it, a kick trigger & pedal, a hi hat trigger/pedal, a throne, and a stick bag." Is the Multi 12 good enough for this?

- I don't know what electronic kick trigger and hi hat pedal/trigger to order with it. What EXACTLY should I get?

- I've spent a little time on Youtube looking for a video of someone playing the Multi 12 as a kit, in a live situation. I've struck out. Do any of you know of a video like this and if so, could you point me to it?

- I know this is a matter of opinion, but for you all that are using the Multi 12 as a kit, how do you have the 12 pads arranged/assigned? I'm trying to think of what sounds I would assign to which pads.

I think that's about it. I really appreciate all your help. If this will work, it would really solve some issues for me.

Thanks everybody!

• Members

I do NOT use mine as a kit at present. It's set to my left above the hihats and I use it as a complement to my acoustic kit.

However, I think I can help at least somewhat with your questions...

1) Depends entirely on your definition of 'good enough'. The Multi-12 (and other pad controllers) can absolutely be used as you are asking. The onboard sounds are more than quality enough, the functionality is there, etc. The question, however, is really how much compromise are you willing to make in laying out your kit/pads into an easily playable configuration, because at the end of the day, it will NOT be like playing a traditional kit really.

2) This is entirely a personal preference issue, and I suggest you go to a local music store (take a trip to Indy if there's nothing good nearby) and check a few out IN PERSON. I personally like the upper-level Roland hihat and kick triggers, but I know people who swear by Yamaha, and others who use other brands. There is no right/wrong here. I would recommend staying away from entry-level/cheaper solutions, however.

3)

You're probably not going to find a ton of vids on using the Multi-12 as a full kit though; that's only a tiny portion of what it can do, and probably one of the least compelling uses compared to why people buy them.

4) Arrangement of an actual kit on a pad controller is always a challenge. Parallel lines of pads don't readily lend themselves to the ergonomics of playing an acoustic drum set. This is where your compromise comes in.

In one of the clips above, it appeared the kit was set with cymbals on the top row (skinny pads), toms across the second row (upper full size pads), hat and ride on the outer lower full size pads and snare in the center of that row, etc. This 'makes sense', but you could opt for other layouts based on your preference/needs. It really is up to you, and I wouldn't sweat this detail too much; if you find one layout doesn't work for you or feel right, changing location of sounds and moving them among pads within a given set, etc. is simple and only takes a handful of seconds/presses of buttons.

Ultimately, there's going to be some compromise required for you to only use the set-up you suggest, which will always be the case ehwn trying to collapse something that's spread out much more into a roughly 1'x2' space in that layout. The drumKAT controller, which I also own/used to play attempted to speak to this issue by placing the pads in a layout that lent itself more to what you are trying to do, however it still had its drawnbacks...

I would recommend considering/planning at some point on getting an additional stand or whatever hardware would be needed to place (2) external pads mounted from it: one in the snare position and on in the hihat position. This would allow you to achieve a more 'normal' setup/layout with minimal additional gear.

As I play more and more in places with stricter volume restrictions, I am little by little piecing together exactly that set up; at this point, I have the Multi-12 and 2 external pads; only would need hihat and kick controllers.

• 1 year later...

Archived