oj_1

Electro-Harmonix Classics USA Big Muff PI Distortion / Sustainer Guitar Effects Pedal

Big muff really sounds best with another pedal driving it, or into a dirty amp. Some people will use it for sustain into a clean fender or something, but that isn't really my taste with the pedal. You will get feedback, so don't quit playing (unless you like that sort of thing). I'm using a strat and an AC30, but I have used this pedal with Pauls, fender amps, and marshalls. It sounds different in every setup, but still interesting.

Electro Harmonix makes budget pedals. Basically, these things could die at any time -- but that's the way it was in the '60's, man. I have the "little" version, which seems like it is made in a better case so perhaps it won't die on me.

General Comments

The big muff is a weird beast.

Its application really depends on what guitar and amp you are using. On lower settings, it can act almost as an OD kind of thing with a ton of low end. On higher settings you can achieve that "singing" Santana sustain (they continue to claim Hendrix used it, but since it wasn't even out until after his landmark albums, I don't really understand that claim).

The reviewer that said he couldn't get Mudhoney tones out of the thing must be doing something wrong, because this pedal is featured on pretty much every Mudhoney song.

In all, it is a pedal that everyone should have in their collection. It is a classic effect that works for beginners and pros alike. You never know when you might need a big muff!

It basically has a very small tonal range, and I wouldn't call it amazing, but it is very useful, especially for sustain.