I don't really like all the factory presets, but you can overwrite them. However, I seem to be able to get almost ANY sound out of it that I want, especially since they have both real tube and solid state preamps. My only wish: if they had included an an analog phaser effect. I use this with a typical 1980's Kramer "Van Halenized" guitar with a single Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Demon pickup and with a really jazzy sounding Suzuki "BC Rich Mockingbird" copy guitar. (Seriously, many people have commented that it sounds like a cross between a classic stratocaster and a Gibson ES hollow body.) I use this preamp for it's "instrument out" to go into the "instrument in" on my 130w stereo solid state Fender "Ultimate Chorus" amp. I'm thinking of putting it through the stereo effects loop to get stereo sounds, but that is pointless when playing out. The unit has two XLR outs on the back, so I don't have to mike my amp, and if it is a stereo PA, I can get stereo sounds.

I haven't had it very long, so I don't really know yet. It looks very durable though.

General Comments

It has great heavy metal, hard rock, classic rock, jazz, psychodelic and even country sounds. The sounds aren't as "harsh" sounding as other units I have heard. It is not noisy at all, as a matter of fact, it seems to make my amp sound less noisy, perhaps because of the noise gate effect.