Ralph-G-Vng

Fender SE-100 Electric Pack

I play blues, blues rock and classic rock. I write some of my own stuff, but it is remindant of late 60's and early 70's hard, no bullshit rock. Stuff like Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream, Steppenwolf, you know the deal. Now lets talk about the guitar and then the amp. The guitar, handles all of these things very well. You will not get a 50's Fender Vintage Twang out of it (in agreement with the other reviewer). It is more of a modern bright sound at the bridge pickup, and to me, resembles a humbucker more than a single coil. That's why it works so well for Zeppelin and Cream stuff. Works well for Southern Rock Les Paul sounding stuff too. This guitar has more of a Les Paul sound than a Strat sound. Thicker...beefier. It has more power output than my Mexican Strat, which is very thin sounding next to this guitar. You can indeed crank your treble up all the way on any amp and back off on the bass and get a pretty decent twang if that is what you are into, but I'm not into that. The in between pickups selections are the best sounding to me. Rich, full.....very nice. Being a strat, it is quite versatile though. Fuck with it and the amp you are using (I also have a Peavey Bandit 112 and a VOX AD15R) and you can get quite a variety. Using it with the Squier SP10 Amp it came with, gives you a nice twang because the amp is trebbly, but if you back off the treble and crank the bass all the way up, you can get warm. You don't really need the distortion button if you just want moderate distortion or crunch because all you have to do is crank the volume up past 4 or 5 and it will give you a nice crunchy sound. The distortion on the amp is a little tinny for my taste, but when I run my ZOOM 606 through it, I can get a good Marshall or Peavey distortion.

The guitar will and does withstand live playing, the amp stays in my bedroom. Hardware and everything else is just like a Fender and I don't see any problems with it. No one gigs without a backup unless they don't have a choice. Thank God I do.

General Comments

Been playin all my life and I'm 50. I'd get another one if it were lost or stolen. This is a good rig for the money.