Becoming Frankentele

sk-at-ks

• Members

I've got a squier telecaster (mexican, made in '98), and I've decided to turn it into my 'project' guitar. Eventually, I want to basically upgrade every single component (electronics, hardware, neck, everything except maybe the body. i like the color). I am going to start with the electronics and hardware, but I have two questions I wanted to ask first.

The first thing is, what would you change first? I think I want to dip my toe in first, financially speaking, and start by replacing the nut, bridge saddles, tuners and pots. What benefit can I reap from 'better' saddles, nut, pots, etc? What else might you consider upgrading?

My second questions is about choosing pickups. If you don't have a lot of experience, and know what different pickups already sound like, how do you make an intelligent decision? I've been looking on seymour duncan's website, and I think I like the STL/R's the best, based on the sound samples. At work, we have a light ash tele with SD alnico pro II's loaded in it, and that pickup seemed excessively bright to my ear, playing through the same amp I have at home. According to SD's 'tone chart' thing, the pickups I liked from their samples is way brighter than the ones I heard personally, so how can I trust anything I heard from the website, now?

Thanks.

• Members

that's surprising! I can see replacing my individual saddles with brass ones, but i think the design and intonation of the 3 saddle bridge is a big turnoff.

You can buy one of these styles of bridge that has compensated brass saddles. Mine work fine :thu: Highly recommended.

Archived