guitar setup, string height/ neck relief, what;s your method?

bluesboy

• Members

I know alot of you may set things by feel.

I start by cleaning the fretboard.

Then, I restring and tune to pitch.

Then I check neck straightness/ relief. I basically set relief pretty close to .010" at the seventh fret, with the big E fretted at fret 1, and fret 17.

Then I check string height. My string height at the 12th fret is 1/16" for the little e, and slightly higher for the big E.

Then I adjust intonation, and adjust pickup height.

This is for my Epi LP, and it plays like a dream with 10-52 strings (normal tuning).

It did have it's frets leveled, which im certain makes a big difference. It was definitely worth it.

I only get buzzing if i hit the strings really hard.

What are all your methods? I learned mine from Dan Erlewines book.

• Members

My methods are fairly similar. I try to really take my time and make the bass/guitar as playable as possible, so it is kind of a long process with lots of checks.

I don't generally shoot for attaining certain numbers for each aspect (action, relief, pickup height etc.) because I find that they need to be dialed in for each individual bass or guitar anyway. I do however use some standard numbers as references for where things should end up after the setup.

I start by measuring all of the starting points of each aspect, that way I know where I end up and how much the instrument has improved. Then I check all of the electronics for crackles and cut-outs and clean/replace them if necessary. Then I usually take off the strings, clean/oil the fretboard, re-string the instrument and let it sit for a day or two, so it can adjust to the new strings.

Next I play every fret to check for buzz. I also look at the nut to check its height and see if any slots are too narrow/shallow or deep/wide. If there isn't any buzz, I proceed to lower the action and/or relief if they need to come down. I repeat the process of playing each fret after each adjustment. Once the instrument buzzes just a tiny bit on any one fret I back off the action just a little bit. Finally, I adjust the pickup heights, set the intonation and polish the rest of the instrument.

The LP must play a lot better after the fret level. It's amazing what nice level frets can do for even the cheapest of instruments...

• Members

I don't measure because what I do depends on how the nut is cut.

So, I basically give just enough relief so open strings (especially the high E which seems most sensitive to this) ring out without being choked.

Then I adjust the bridge to a comfortable playing height and intonate if when needed.

• Members

oh yeah, i forgot about the nut. i changed out the seriously crappy plastic nut and put in a tusq one. The height was pretty good right off the bat with the new nut.

A few months ago, I also completely gutted the electronics and replaced everything. Switchcraft toggle, new output jack, CTS audio 500K pots, orange drop caps, all new wiring, etc. That in and of itself made a huge difference in this guitar.

Plus, epiphones wiring is like a freaking jungle anyways

Archived