How are the Squier VM guitars?

Derek5272

• Members

Thinking about buying myself a Squier VM Thinline Tele for my birthday. Tried one out a couple of days ago (unplugged) and it played nice, but I'm just wondering how the general quality with these is. Will it be necessary for me to replace the electronics right away to get a decent sound out of it, or should it be adequate for bedroom playing, and maybe a bit of recording? Will it fall apart under the slightest abuse? I've heard good things about the VM basses, but on the other hand, I've played lots of crap Squiers so I'm a bit apprehensive. I really want a Thinline, and these seem to be the only option for me under $1000 CAD.

• Members

I love my VM Thinline. The 24-3/4 scale length is really comfertable. The neck is great chuncky like a bat. The downfall for me was the pickups. They wern't terrible but not to my liking. Bridge is good. Tuners not bad. Not the best but not bad. I think the only bad thing stock was the electronics. I put all new electronics in mine and some GFS Lil Punchers. It's a kick ass guitar now.

Here's mine with the Lil Punchers.

IMG_5396.jpg

• Members

Nice! Same color I'm going to get. I'm excited to get this. The last time I bought a guitar, I got it for the name on the headstock :facepalm: I'm kicking myself now for not getting a Tele back then, because they have the best necks I've felt on any guitar.

• Members

I had a VM Tele SH for about a week. I was in love with it in the store, but after I got it home the "mildly bad fret ends" became the "ow {censored} these are some {censored} fret ends". That is a constant as far as I can see on the Indian-made Squiers with maple boards. I've played 5 total and all of them needed a fret job bad.

I can only talk about the SH, the pick-ups were alright (Duncan designed) but nothing to write home about. The lacquer on the neck was GREAT, very glossy but not terribly sticky. I'm not sure that the thinline has the same neck spec's as the SH but the neck on mine was fast and very nice.

I thought it was a good guitar for the money, but ultimately returned it when it started cutting in and out (probably a 5 second solder job but I was pissed about problem after problem).

Archived