Should I buy a Les Paul?

obscurity

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. Particular thanks to the dude with the guitar comparison video, that settled the question for me - I need to buy an LP. While other folks responding in the linked thread said they were surprised at how well the variax stood up, I was actually startled by how much better the 2 LPs sounded.

So now my question is, which LP to get - a gibson or an epi? Don't suppose anyone has a handy video that compares several different gibson/epi LPs?
:)

To respond to some of the points raised in the thread: Thanks, but I really don't want a strat or a tele, it's the LP sound I love. Yes, I'm sure I do need to work on my playing, but I don't understand how that addresses the question. Don't assume that because I'm not much of a guitarist I don't care about the tone; that's the
only
thing I care about. I can't just play 'em and see which I like because the local shops don't stock epiphone or gibson, like I mentioned in the OP. Don't want EMGs, I'm a goth not a metalhead. Used is probably a good idea, but I'm scared of getting a fake off ebay. I'm sure playability is important to someone who can actually play but I'm so much of a hack I can't tell the difference

I would highly recommend used, if you can find one in good shape. If you see one you like, just post it here and we can give the "fake or not" appraisal for you.

Also, don't limit yourself to Epi or Gibby, unless you actually want it to say "Les Paul" on the headstock (if you do though, that's perfectly fine too). Check out Edwards, ESP/Ltd. Greco (EG700 or higher), Orville, Burny, Tokai, etc. There's all kinds of great LP copies out there, and lots of variation within the Gibson LP line.

• Members

Anothe question if you don't mind, folks: how easy is it to change the pickups? Do I need to use a soldering iron (I don't have a very steady hand so I avoid anything that needs soldering)? I'm currently thinking of getting an Epi (probably the studio gothic if I can find one, 'cos, y'know, I'm a goth :) ), and changing the pickups to Gibsons, sound like a good plan?

• Members
Anothe question if you don't mind, folks: how easy is it to change the pickups? Do I need to use a soldering iron (I don't have a very steady hand so I avoid anything that needs soldering)? I'm currently thinking of getting an Epi (probably the studio gothic if I can find one, 'cos, y'know, I'm a goth
), and changing the pickups to Gibsons, sound like a good plan?

Yep, you'll need a soldering iron (though I would recommend spending 10 more bucks and getting a gun, as it's easier to work with). It's really not that bad.

• Members

Just get an Epi for the studio stuff, unless you decide to progress with guitar in the future and play through a tube amp. In your situation you'd just be spending money on the brand name. You'll get the same sound out of an Epi with what you're doing.

Archived