Squier Strat Bridge and Tuner Upgrades

dughaze

• Members

I want to upgrade the stock tremolo bridge and tuners on my 90 something Korean Strat. The nut has been replaced and is good to go and I am liking this thing so I want to keep it going. I really like it now and am going to turn it into a high powered, single humbucker, with one volume control, Classic Rocker. I have an Anderson H3 pickup and a CTS and Switchcraft volume control and jack on the way in the mail. I will probably eventually get a single humbucker pickguard but for now I can use the HSS pickguard it has and leave the two single coils in it for fill. No tone knobs, just the one volume control.

My budget is $100 and I need the best tremolo bridge (solid block saddles of some kind...don't like the bent metal saddles) and tuners that I can get and install without modifying anything if possible...plug and play. I want to unscrew the old tuners and bridge and screw in the new ones. I don't want to route, drill, fill holes, borrow a chainsaw, sand it down and paint it the same color, and all that stuff. Plug and play baby!

Help a brutha out!

• Members

Get some Graph-tech saddles and a GFS or Callaham Block for the trem.

I am taking its a 6 screw vintage design, correct?

Are the tuning machines the odd shaped two screw on backside style Squier tuners?

If so, I really dont think there are many options that are a direct fit replacement. But the old toothpick in the screwhole trick works wonders to cover up a hole, then the possibilities are endless.

• Members
Get some Graph-tech saddles and a GFS or Callaham Block for the trem.

I am taking its a 6 screw vintage design, correct?

Are the tuning machines the odd shaped two screw on backside style Squier tuners?

If so, I really dont think there are many options that are a direct fit replacement. But the old toothpick in the screwhole trick works wonders to cover up a hole, then the possibilities are endless.

The bridge looks like this one with the 6 screws. Would this one be a drop in replacement?

yhst-50206111187217_2050_2901407
http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html

Then I could put the Graph-tech saddles on with this bridge to have the block type saddles huh?

• Members

The Wilkinson/Kluson style tuners tend to cover up most of the holes left by those tuners but there will be a few holes. But, that is where the toothpick trick comes in.

Yeah that bridge should fit just make sure it is the same dimensions. Hit up Jay and he will let you know the specifics. Since you are ordering most GFS parts, you should try the roller saddles he has in stock. I have been interested in trying them out myself on my current strat project.

• Members

I think you jam some toothpick pieces in the hole for filler but not sure how you complete the job...use wood filler maybe?

That is correct, on one project I had though, I just jammed the toothpick into the hole left by the tuner and made sure it was level with the headstock. I dabbed a little of the polish on it and you couldn't see it unless you were looking for it. As the Kluson tuning machine was very close to it. It is really a matter of how you clean of a job you want. My strats usually are banged up and dragged around from touring and practice. So, the vanity seemed in excess compared to the rest of the guitar. I have a good PDF file of modding a Bullet strat from a fellow forumite. Which is essentially the same thing as to what you are modding just a higher end version. PM me an email if you need it.

• Members

That is correct, on one project I had though, I just jammed the toothpick into the hole left by the tuner and made sure it was level with the headstock. I dabbed a little of the polish on it and you couldn't see it unless you were looking for it. As the Kluson tuning machine was very close to it. It is really a matter of how you clean of a job you want. My strats usually are banged up and dragged around from touring and practice. So, the vanity seemed in excess compared to the rest of the guitar. I have a good PDF file of modding a Bullet strat from a fellow forumite. Which is essentially the same thing as to what you are modding just a higher end version. PM me an email if you need it.

Okay, I want to get a good trembock, Graphtech Ferraglide saddles, tuners, and a pickguard. You talked me into it. I started another thread asking where to get them and thanks for your help!

PM sent.

Archived