Changing Picking technique suggestions needed

nuke_diver

• Members

Since I'm having a bad day playing and looking for something to blame it on I'll blame it on the way I hold the pick. I know its wrong and I've been trying to change to something more conventional...though it may already be too late for an old dog like me.

So rather than struggle with my playing today (which probably has nothing to do with the technique and more just one of those days :eek:) I'll post this in hopes of some good advice from the fine Members of HCEG

The reason I decided I should change is because now that I'm doing a bit more lead with rhythmn playing the nail on my index finger often strikes the string before the pick while playing rhythmn. This has 2 effects, one is to wear down the nail unevenly and the second and more critical is often some unwanted noise. With a more conventional method I get less of this noise but I think I hear a difference in tone and it certainly feels different.

So should I try and work though this problem and adapt the more conventional method (thinking like changing a golf swing initially you do worse but eventually you will get to a higher level of play) or is it just going to be a source of frustration?

For the record my "normal" way to hold is with the pick pinched between the thumb and the index with the 2 forming a O. I think I developed this when I started taking lessons and playing leads, I don't recall this when I was only strumming acoustic guitars. :confused:

• Members

bumping in the hopes of getting more :(

wimpy77 it's true I hold the pick close to get the control during lead playing but the nail striking is also a function of the way I hold since on a downstroke the index finger is leading the pick and unless I leave a lot of pick exposed it can hit first...and a lot of pick makes switching back to a lead play more difficult...kind of I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't

• Members

I think most people hold the pick between index and thumb. At least that's what I do.

It honestly just seems like you need to work on your accuracy. I play using those tiny little Dunlop Jazz II picks, so I never have much pick exposed, but I never have trouble hitting the strings with my finger first. Picking is kind of strange - it needs to be very precise, but you need to be somewhat loose in order to be fluid too. Maybe you should look up some exercises. When I was starting out I did picking exercises with a metronome, only maybe 15-20 minutes daily tops, just picking muted strings and practicing downstrokes, upstrokes, alternates, and string skipping in different patterns and trying to lock in with the metronome cleanly.

• Members

I think most people hold the pick between index and thumb. At least that's what I do.

They do but most of you hold it with the thumb and index finger slightly crossed I think like this guy

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-46.php

I hold it with the tips of both thumb and index to the tip of the pick as if I was going to pinch it. I think it's pretty much like his "not recommended" potion. And I don't hit the strings when I'm picking like doing metronome drills I hit it when strumming (big motions not small ones if you know what I mean). Unfortunately I don't have any way to show this and am not doing a good job of articulating it it seems :idk:

• Members

They do but most of you hold it with the thumb and index finger slightly crossed I think like this guy

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-46.php

I hold it with the tips of both thumb and index to the tip of the pick as if I was going to pinch it. I think it's pretty much like his "not recommended" potion. And I don't hit the strings when I'm picking like doing metronome drills I hit it when strumming (big motions not small ones if you know what I mean). Unfortunately I don't have any way to show this and am not doing a good job of articulating it it seems
:idk:

No, it's hard to explain things like that verbally but I see what you are saying...while I hold it with those two fingers, they are sort of at an angle with each other, almost perpendicular. I tried holding it the way I think you are doing it (Maybe if you would say the fingers are crossed in the link you showed above, yours are more parallel? Does that make sense?). It seems like it would put your wrist at a funky angle that would be more awkward to play with.

I dunno, I might consider adjusting. It depends on how much you feel it would set back your playing.

• Members

I am considering adjusting

It seems to sound different to me which is part of the problem of adjusting, not as clear and clean. But some of that could be in my head and some of it real as I try to adjust to the different technique. On Friday I tried and more or less was ok, yesterday I tried my metronome drills and they suffered which was the reason for the original post. Later on I played using the more correct technique and seem to play ok. Today I was ok till the metronome again...stuggled and gave up and will try again in a few hours. Today though my right hand hurt some so I think I am gripping the pick too tight, probably cause I'm focussing too hard on holding it in a new way

• Members

It sounds like you hold the pick the same way I do but I don't find it to be a problem. I actually will hit the strings with my fingernail on purpouse to get a kind of a chunck sound. If you want to play cleanly and not hit the string with your nail just curl the index finger in tword the palm of your hand then you can pick cleanly. Bringing your finger out you can dig in for pitch harmonic with the edge of your thumb or hit with the nail for that chunk sound.

Archived