top locking or thumbscrew tuners

Capricorn

• Members

If you're asking if Steinbereger tuners (lock from the top post then tune from the bottom side) are easier than a pair of locking Grovers or Sperzels then the answer is no.

I've had experience using both Sperzels Locking tuners and Steinberger's Direct Drive 40:1 locking tuners and here are my thoughts:

The Steinbereger tuners are good but unless the strings are wrapped you can be assured you will have to tighten the top 3 unwound srings with a wrench to keep them from slipping. This is even in the manual sent as well as explained on their website.

The Steinberger 40:1 Direct Drive tuners are $100 for the Chrome version and $149 for the gold.

They are not bad by any means but can be a pain midset if a string breaks.

The Grovers and Sperzels are able to unlock and restring in a snap, so that would be my choice.

The Firebird came stock with the Steinberger tuners.

100_1320.jpg

The Epi G-400 had the Sperzels added.

100_1522.jpg

• Members

thanks for the pics crisco but i was actually asking about

sperzel style tuners with the thumbscrew at the back compared to

gotoh or grover style tuners with the locking mechanism on top of the string post that has to be turned with a screwdriver or something

• Members

The sperzels have a pin that locks the string in place. This is done by the thumbwheel and is a snap to deal with.. The Steinbergers do the opposite....they lock from the top.

I can't tell you anything about the Grover locking tuners because I have not yet used them.

• Members

I have Grover locking tuners on a Yamaha LP-style guitar. They're the kind that don't require a tool; you turn the top part of the post until it "clicks" into place, pull the string through, and just start tightening the tuner; the string gets locked in place automatically.

Grover Mini-Locking Rotomatics

They work fine, but I find that I prefer the thumbscrew-style locking tuners--they just seem a little less fiddly (I got the Grovers because they were a drop-in, no drilling replacement for the stock tuners). But they're certainly an improvement over non-locking tuners.

Archived