Ageism in the music biz

• Members

I have been playing with a cover band of guys my age for the past year and a half. It's mostly fun but they seem to be of the mind that no good music was produced after 1974 and aren't interested in learning anything from the 80s and 90s. I accept it as being what it is, a party band for old farts. As cool as we sometimes think we are, I can see why young guys hate us. We're playing stuff that's 35+ years old. When I was a kid of 20, 35 year old music would have been stuff that came out in 1940!

Anyway, a dear friend of mine I've known for over 30 years is visiting and he came and heard the band do two gigs last weekend. He pulled me aside and told me I need a new band-not because these guys are bad (they aren't-in fact they're all great players) but because they're stuck. And I know he is right.

Anyway, out of curiosity, I got on Criag's list and started seeing what was out there. I found a three day old ad looking for a stable and solid guitar player. I thought, "well hell, that's me!" So I emailed the guy and he called me. He's a 24 year old kid who's mostly done solo stuff, a singer songwriter who did his first CD by himself, playing guitar, keys bass and programming drums. His style is sort of Dave Matthews/Jack Johnson/Amos Lee, hard to pin down. The voice is really different yet has commercial appeal, and he's got that "it" thing you either have or don't.

Anyway, I went to the audition last night-the guy's band (his first one ever) is an all-Criag's list band- a great jazzy keyboard player about 27 yrs old, a mid-20s drummer with a punk background, and my old bass player who played on my last CD who's about 47, and me.

The kid was really impressed how good we all sounded together (we really did) and he's excited. His voice is great, his songs are really good, and he knows exactly what he wants in them. I'm impressed with his vision for his sound.

I have lots of connections locally and regionally, which he doesn't know about, that I can cash in to help him. He has 17 new songs for his next CD and wants me to play on it and join his band. I'm pretty stoked, too. None of the young guys semed put off that myself and the bass player are older and seemed impressed at our ability to play. I know I'm impressed with theirs.

I guess I'm writing this for two reasons: One, to encourage some of you old farts like me to find some young guys to play with-it will stretch you and might renew your excitement and make you feel useful again and get you out of a rut, if you're in one.

And secondly, are these kid normal, or do most younger musicians find the idea of playing with old farts a fate worse than death?

• Members

For me, it really depends on the music and how the old fart carries himself.

A lot of time, it seems like older guys in rock tend to be the sleeveless-tshirt-born-to-be-wild crowd. This can really, really kill a vibe on stage. But if the guy looks and acts like a musician on stage, then I have no problem with it. I mean, look at the sidemen for a many young acts. They tend to be older, but they still look the part.

• Members

And secondly, are these kid normal, or do most younger musicians find the idea of playing with old farts a fate worse than death?

I totally agree with Songwriter. I've jammed with some older guys in their late 40s and early 50s and it seemed like they just wanted to control everything. On top of that, I feel that they just didnt understand where I was coming from. They labeled my music jazz (no real offense taken), but it's not. Just because I slip more complicated chord structures into a rock format doesn't make it jazz. I felt those kinds of people were limiting and a little too classic rock for me.

But it really depends upon the old fart. I'd love to be in John Mclaughlin's band or play with David Gilmour. They're easily in their 60s now (I think). Or if Zappa was still alive, I'd follow him like a loyal soldier. Just because someone is old doesn't mean they don't have the capacity to be creative and innovative.

• Members

I totally agree with Songwriter. I've jammed with some older g
uys in their late 40s and early 50s and it seemed like they just wanted to control everything.
On top of that, I feel that
they just didnt understand where I was coming from.
They labeled my music jazz (no real offense taken), but it's not. Just because I slip more complicated chord structures into a rock format doesn't make it jazz. I felt
those kinds of people were limiting and a little too classic rock for me.

Yup. I made it a point to ask this kid how he wanted everything I did to sound. And I'm conscious of the "been there done that" mentality. God save me from that!

It helps that I have kids this guy's age and I've listened to a lot of stuff they like.

• Members

I think that's awesome. I also think that it doesn't matter how old the band is, if the front guy is in his 20's and the band sounds good. Songwriter81's right - you see these kids up on stage, and the band is all guys in their 30's and maybe 40's.

• Members

Yup. I made it a point to ask this kid how he wanted everything I did to sound. And I'm conscious of the "been there done that" mentality. God save me from that!

It helps that I have kids this guy's age and I've listened to a lot of stuff they like.

That's good that you were open-minded and tried not to excessively encroach on anybody's territory. As younger musicians, we already have parents who have opinions and ideas about how everything should go in our lives. Do we need the same thing from our bandmates?

• Members

That's awesome BS. I'm really happy for you. Are you going to keep both bands going or commit full time to the new band?

I'm 25 and like playing with musos my age because we can usually relate more and communicate better. On the other hand, I like playing with older musicians because they tend to be more mature (both musically and socially) and reliable. Plus, I tend to prefer the older music genres.

My first gigging band was me (nearly 21 at the time) and a bunch of 45+ guys, and it was awesome. I learned so much from them. But they were not big on giving or receiving feedback. They were of the mindset that no news was good news. And I always crave to know what people think of everything.

My current band is about half under thirty and half ~40+. It works great.

• Members

I think that an older musician can bring a lot of experience and help to make the younger band better than they could be on their own.

Yeah, I don't think a younger musician who is serious about what he does would turn down an offer from an experienced older musican, if he can really bring something to the table, musically, and is reliable. Good musicians are hard to come by, and if you are reliable and professional, that gives you even more of a value.

I think it would be a bit of a different story if you were looking to become a full-fledged member of a band, because usually bands prefer to have members that are close in age (for marketing reasons). But if it's more of a "lead singer/songwriter with back-up musicians" scenario (which is what this sounds like to me), I don't think age makes much of a difference.

• Members

Just this year, at 41, I joined a band of guys in their mid-20s. It was a friend-of-a-friend connection and I don't know if we would have found each other through the "usual suspects" channels, but the leader needed a bass player when I was looking for a new project, and we decided to take a chance on each other. It's actually been pretty cool, and quite a cultural experience for me---they're a sort of "outsider" band that plays mainly house parties and alternative venues; it's a scene I would never have found (or, indeed, sought out) on my own. They've kind of stretched my mind a bit, and I think they appreciate my perspective on things some times.

• Moderators

Anyway, I went to the audition last night-the guy's band (his first one ever) is an all-Criag's list band- a great jazzy keyboard player about 27 yrs old, a mid-20s drummer with a punk background, and my old bass player who played on my last CD who's about 47, and me.

The kid was really impressed how good we all sounded together (we really did) and he's excited. His voice is great, his songs are really good, and he knows exactly what he wants in them. I'm impressed with his vision for his sound.

I have lots of connections locally and regionally, which he doesn't know about, that I can cash in to help him. He has 17 new songs for his next CD and wants me to play on it and join his band. I'm pretty stoked, too. None of the young guys semed put off that myself and the bass player are older and seemed impressed at our ability to play. I know I'm impressed with theirs.

I guess I'm writing this for two reasons: One, to encourage some of you old farts like me to find some young guys to play with-it will stretch you and might renew your excitement and make you feel useful again and get you out of a rut, if you're in one.

That's awesome and it must be pretty exciting for you. :thu:

My thoughts (Im 31 BTW) are that there's roughly two types of, ahem... "mature" players I've encountered. There's guys who haven't stopped learning and growing, who still seek out new music, and who don't take themselves too seriously. Because of their experience, they usually bring a lot to the table musically and also know a lot of useful info. Obviously they make great bandmates, and I'd never have a problem playing with someone like this.

The other extreme would be the guys that fossilized somewhere in the 70's or 80's, who think they've already figured out everything they need to. I don't see the point in playing with guys like this, not because I hate gentlemen of a certain age, or because I don't like a lot of music from earlier decades, but rather because these are people whose curiosity and imagination have shut down, and they're just drifting along in neutral. Sadly, this can happen to guys at a relatively young age.

• Moderators

For me, it really depends on the music and how the old fart carries himself.

A lot of time, it seems like older guys in rock tend to be the sleeveless-tshirt-born-to-be-wild crowd. This can really, really kill a vibe on stage. But if the guy looks and acts like a musician on stage, then I have no problem with it. I mean, look at the sidemen for a many young acts. They tend to be older, but they still look the part.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Muy_divertido.jpg/450px-Muy_divertido.jpg

No, Marc Ribot, you fifty-something old fart, you can't join my band. You look terrible and nobody under fourty listens to your music.

:p

• Members

Geezer!!!

You're soooo old; do you fart dust?

Love handles ... gotta love em!

Can't ..... reach ...... my ....... toes [poot]!

Oh wait .... I'm 47 .... never mind.

[fart ... poof]

Have fun BS ... don't get out of breathe! :thu:

• Members

There are a few people here that have posted before and did not want middle-aged folks playing music with them. That's a shame, really.

One thing that the older guys (and gals) can bring to the gigs is the experience dealing with the business side of music and also the club owners that occasionally try to take advantage of young musicians. The older musicians know the protocol of business and also know how to play the audience without trying to amaze them with their chops.

Musical maturity sure has advantages.

• Members

Whenever I meet or jam with a young kid, it's like we're at one with each other. Music really seems to bring people together. Surprisingly one guy 17 years old that I jammed with, only wanted to play stuff from the '60's and the last time I talked to him, he was joining a band that was like minded, called "In The Beginning" I hope this becomes a popular trend.

Archived