Revu Les Paul Junior 2009 Satin Finish

blind radish

• Members

I finally played the new Junior yesterday at a local Sam Ash and I was blown away and disappointed at the same time.

The tone and playability of this guitar is fantastic. With the p90 and a single volume at tone control I got a wide range of beautiful sounds.

The neck is fantastic -- more like a 60s neck than the 50s bat of the Billie Joe Armstrong and other older Juniors. The fret board edge was almost rolled like an America Strat.

It seems light by comparison to other Juniors I had played.

But fit and finish were another story. It was if the guitar was not finished when it came to the fret work. It already has fret sprout slightly. The rolled neck edge seemed as though it had not received its final sanding prior to finish (in fact it felt finish free). Also, there was a spot of something that was on one of the frets, and onto the fretboard adjacent. Couldn't scratch it off with a fingernail ... so it was there to stay.

The satin finish looks incredibly cheap in comparison to the nitro finish on the BJA. This guitar has all of the feel of the new melody maker.

Not worth 850 IMHO. And I wanted to love it because I've got the dough stashed for snatching.

I guess I am back to looking for the perfect pre-2009 junior ....

anybody else play one and have a different experience to share?

• Members

Cool review. I have not played one yet but am not surprised at some of the QC issues you encountered. It's that kind of stuff that has me shying away from newish Gibsons more and more. Combine the wavy QC with the price and it's a no-thanks for me. YMMV.

Archived