Gibson Faded Refinish?

Beckman

• Members

I think I finally decided to get a Gibson V. It looks like a faded will be my only option based on prices I am finding. I have seen a few threads about making LP VM's or Faded SG's glossy. I was wondering if there is a way to make them black? I know it can be done, but how easy would it be, and what would I need? Is it a thin Nitro finish on them? I can keep it faded, I don't need a super glossy finish. I actually like the satin finishes on Schecters.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Members

I think I finally decided to get a Gibson V. It looks like a faded will be my only option based on prices I am finding. I have seen a few threads about making LP VM's or Faded SG's glossy. I was wondering if there is a way to make them black? I know it can be done, but how easy would it be, and what would I need? Is it a thin Nitro finish on them? I can keep it faded, I don't need a super glossy finish. I actually like the satin finishes on Schecters.

Any input would be appreciated.

i thought it came in black as it is? or is the black one more money?

• Members

i thought it came in black as it is? or is the black one more money?

It does, but I am looking for one used. It would take a real long time to find a used one. I can't even find a black one online at a mega store, yet.

There are a few glossy black ones on the bay, but I am not sure about buying one that way. I would like to play it first, but I may be stuck.

• Members

Would I need to sand down the finish first? Could I use a black stain, or would i need to paint it? I feel more comfortable staining than painting. I suck at spary painting.:facepalm: Hopefully I can find a good black one.

• Members

It will cost you less money to buy a black one, and you will have a better finish (unless you are a good painter). The nitro laquer used is not cheap and you will never get the old all the way off becuase it is in the grain. You can polish a faded finish with Virtuoso Polish (?) and they look pretty good. Kind of a antique look.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived