I'm slowly becoming more of a fan of Rich than of Marc.

hardtdc

• Members

I used to be a huge Marc Ford fan and still am, but slowly but surely I'm beginning to see that Rich is far underrated as a guitar player and is really the heart of that band. I think his playing is just amazing and he is also an incredible writer. I really pattern my style of playing more after his too.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I think they compliment each other very nicely. Sort of like Keith and Mick. Both are classy players but I always gravitate towards the guys that don't really have to show off there wanking skill all the time, but who really hold down the tune and provide all the little nuances that continue to reveal themselves through countless trip past the needle. This makes the songs really special.

Only thing I don't like about Rich is that the guy hardly ever looks like he is having a good time. I mean really, lighten up dude. You should be enjoying the place your in these days.

• Members

Nice rhythm riff. Cool tone. Chris' songwriting just doesn't do it for me. He's always been erratic, but now he's mostly boring. I was disappointed by their last release. Sometimes bands need outside help with songs. The Crowes, IMO, are one of them.

• Members

i'm a huge Rich Robinson fan. The Crowes have had their share of fantastic guitarists, of which my favorite was Audley Freed. I agree that Rich is one of hte most underrated players in the business these days. He can lay down a riff like no one else, the riffs he writes are simple but hit you hard. Here's one of my favorites...from my favorite album.

[YOUTUBE]ZA_Q19HFQig[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Of course he's underappreciated -- he's primarily the rhythm player, and people -- even a lot of guitar players -- have largely been conditioned to only pay attention to the lead guitarist.

It's mostly musicians who can even manage to pick one guitar part out from the other in listening to a song, let alone appreciate that good rhythm guitar playing is a formidable skill in and of itself. And some of Rich's rhythm tracks are just spectacular in terms of feel, tension / release, and interplay with the other guitar in the band. "Sting Me" is just one example -- listen to just the left channel and hear him rip it up in open G tuning.

That said, Rich is a pretty good lead player in addition to his rhythm skills. Here's him doing the lead to "Wiser Time" with his solo band -- unfortunately with {censored}ty sound quality:

[YOUTUBE]gwvqBY88wpY[/YOUTUBE]

I recently picked up his solo album, "Paper," and like it a lot. Nice guitar work, and very cool vocal harmonies. Here's the album opening track:

[YOUTUBE]2PHfpyDkTVM[/YOUTUBE]

Archived