Whats the best string based on price, how long it lasts, and sound quality.

02-fatboy

• Members

Thats a killer pedal man. I actually spent several hours talking with a tech who has been working on amps and building pedals for over 40 years. He owns a company called RPG electronics and it local to WI where I live. Really a great guy.

Anyways he actually puts bias adjustment of some sort in his fuzz pedals to make up for some of the change in temperature that could affect these pedals. I have no doubt your pedal might sound and act different in different rooms. I know people out there might disagree with me saying this but I to have personally experience it at least with a fuzz pedal.

Maestro made some really cool pedals back in the day. I saw a phaser once that was made buy them and it was buy far the best sounding phaser I have ever used. I wish I could find one just like it but I hear they are pretty rare.

But the way its not the standard phaser with the different colored buttons I am speaking of. This one was all silver and had a knob that went from 1 to 10 believe. You could turn the phase all they way down and it still sounded so lush and full unlike any other phaser I have ever heard. I wish I new the exact model for it. I have been hunting around for one for a few years now and still have had no luck.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find any info. 99.999% of internet searches are going to come up with a mutron so this should be a fun search.

Scratch that. I came up with this right away. Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Maestro-Mini-Phase,-Phaser,-Oberheim,-PS-1,-MXR_W0QQitemZ160340848801QQcmdZViewItem

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Elixir's (nanoweb) on the acoustics, exclusively these days. Used to use D'addario lights.

On the electrics, I've been a long time D'addario user, but I'm currently using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's (9-46) on the strat, and have been happy with them from both a sound and longevity standpoint.

Chris

• Members

Nope its not the mini phase. I will have to call Roger from RPG he has the pedal I am talking about. I forget what its called but I thought he told me that he spent 15 years looking for it. I can tell you this much, I have never seen another one and it was best phaser I ever heard. I would know what it looked like if I saw it.

• Members
  • Members

I tried those cryo strings in the blue package. Blue Steel? They didn't seem like anything special to me.

I got ripped a new one by a couple "HC experts" for suggesting that my old germanium fuzz would change just from going from one room to another. It's true though. It is really finicky. A lot of that is probably due to the age of the components too.

This is the one I'm talking about. It's the one the Stones used on the "Satisfaction" recording. It takes a AA battery. My
guess
is it was made before 9 volts were made.

2203010844_ae6bb7562c.jpg
2202220483_f634e836bd.jpg

The problem with the Blue steel strings is that all they do is freeze the string. This basically does NOTHING for the string

Kerly String are HEATED and COOLED continously over a 24 hrs period. This actually hardens the core of the string.

Elixirs really don't feel great at all...to me, especially their acoustic strings , feel like freakin plastic and the whole "nanoweb" {censored} is complete BULL{censored}..anytime you "add" anything to a string you are just weighting it down...basically killing sustain!!!

kind of logical!!?!

• Members

The problem with the Blue steel strings is that all they do is freeze the string. This basically does NOTHING for the string

Kerly String are HEATED and COOLED continously over a 24 hrs period. This actually hardens the core of the string.

Elixirs really don't feel great at all...to me, especially their acoustic strings , feel like freakin plastic and the whole "nanoweb" {censored} is complete BULL{censored}..anytime you "add" anything to a string you are just weighting it down...basically killing sustain!!!

kind of logical!!?!

I agree with what your saying about the blue steels. As far as the nanowebs are concerned Elixirs strings are for weak pussies that don't want to get fingers broken in. (just kidding I am sure someone here will get pissed about this comment.)

I am sure that somewhere out there you can find a string engineer or designer who will tell us different and that we are all {censored}ing wrong.

Archived