Wolf Tones

deafinoneear

• Members

I don't know of many people here know about them because it's more an issue in the classical stringed instrument realm, but here's an explanation for you if it's a new concept. When I used to play cello, I came upon a couple of them that had the loudest wolf tones ever, and though they sounded great and there are steps to tame them, I just passed them up because I didn't want to deal with it.

I've noticed lately that that guitar over there

So I want to know how many of you have wolf tones in your guitars? How do you deal with it? Is it even an issue?

Discuss.

• Members

Anyone who has had a guitar with a wolf tone knows exactly what they are even if they don't know what it is called. I've run into it twice, and found both occasions they were easily fixed by changing the mass of the instument. One was a 70's strat that I ended up adding a thin brass strip behind the tuners. The other was a squier tele which a tuner upgrade was in order on anyway.....which cured both issues.

What I find more bothersome on a guitar is sympathetic vibrations of {censored} like a truss rod or trem spring....which aren't usually as easily isolated or fixed

• Members

Anyone who has had a guitar with a wolf tone knows exactly what they are even if they don't know what it is called. I've run into it twice, and found both occasions they were easily fixed by changing the mass of the instument. One was a 70's strat that I ended up adding a thin brass strip behind the tuners. The other was a squier tele which a tuner upgrade was in order on anyway.....which cured both issues.

What I find more bothersome on a guitar is sympathetic vibrations of {censored} like a truss rod or trem spring....which aren't usually as easily isolated or fixed

Interesting thing about the brass-- that's almost exactly what string players do, only on the strings themselves.

Sympathetic vibrations of the strings from nut to tuner ot bridge to tail always bothered me, but I use small grommets placed between the strings for that and it works like a charm.

Archived