What pick ups do I have? (In my LP Custom)

Rockpig

• Members

Yeah, the pickups. Sorry for the confusion. I love the guitar (it's my #1) but I just could not get a usable sound out of those pickups. And I tried for about a year or two - I'm not a big guitar modder. The bridge was really thin with ice-pick highs and the neck was just mud. Trying to blend the two was futile. The neck was a ridiculous 14K - if I lowered it any more it would've been in my pocket. I use old tube amps which I think may have had something to do with it. The pickups worked OK with high gain amps and with a lot of distortion (from pedals) but for a stand alone old-school rock overdrive they couldn't cut it.

I've talked with people who really like those pickups but none of them have been in a LP Custom. All the people I've spoken with who've had them in Customs didn't like them. So it could be the wood also.

AL

• Members

Yeah, the pickups. Sorry for the confusion. I love the guitar (it's my #1) but I just could not get a usable sound out of those pickups. And I tried for about a year or two - I'm not a big guitar modder. The bridge was
really
thin with ice-pick highs and the neck was just mud. Trying to blend the two was futile. The neck was a ridiculous 14K - if I lowered it any more it would've been in my pocket. I use old tube amps which I think may have had something to do with it. The pickups worked OK with high gain amps and with a lot of distortion (from pedals) but for a stand alone old-school rock overdrive they couldn't cut it.

I've talked with people who really like those pickups but none of them have been in a LP Custom. All the people I've spoken with who've had them in Customs didn't like them. So it could be the wood also.

AL

I know what you mean. I love the guitar but I struggle getting the sound that I want. Will change the pick ups soon, then start looking for a decent amp.

Not keen on my Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 either.

Archived