wiring problem

mdd30

• Members

I have a Peavey predator plus, HSS configuration, and put a Dimarzio Fred humbucker in it. I followed Dimarzio's recommendation and wired the white and black wires together, and ran the red to the pickup selector, and the bare and green to the ground, just as the way the pickup I replaced was being ran. It works, but the tone knob doesn't work at all on the humbucker. The tone knob works fine when the selector is in any other position. Any ideas? It's pretty shrill. I'd thought I put it in just the same as the one I took out, but maybe I didn't.

• Members

Seems like your wiring it for standard humbucker operation. The white and black wires are together, soldered and taped off. The green and bare are grounded to the pot top and the red wire is HOT.

The red wire is the "key" and typically is put exactly where the old pickups hot wire was. If you did all that and there is an issue then there must be something else going on. You might check over everything to make sure it's correct. Did you tape off the black/white wires? Maybe they are creating a short.

Archived