How to wire a H-S-S guitar with 5 way blade switch

mercutioburns

• Members

So I finally have the free time (no exams, reports) to work on my Jackson that I got 3 weeks ago. Thanks for all the help on the truss rod info:thu:. I'm almost ready to put her together but the only thing holding me back is the wiring. I can do pup replacements, at least when I can reference where the old pup was and BAM, new pup installed. Being a complete pup installation (Air Norton S neck, Chopper middle, D Sonic bridge), I got nothing to work with. I've googled a crap load of sites, hit up dimarzio and seymour duncan and I got a pic from SD that seems like what I'm going for. I just don't understand the wiring of the switch. The diagram has 8 pins (not sure if that's the right term) that are alternating on each side whereas in the actual guitar has the 8 pins in 1 row.

HSS_1v_1t_5w.jpg

Am I overthinking it and it just corresponds to 1-2-3 and so forth starting with the first pin and going down left to right? Or is it like the left 4 pins in the diagram correspond to the first 4 pins and the right correspond to the remaining 4? I'm just looking to do the typical bridge, bridge middle split, middle, middle neck split, and neck configuration.

• Members

typically on an 8 in a row switch your going to have a 4+4 lug set up, that is the first lug is the bridge pup, the second is the middle, the third is the neck, then the 4th is the output, you would jumper the 4th and 5th together to attach the tone controls on the corresponding lugs, i.e. first and 6th, 2nd and 7th and 3rd and 8th. which is basically the same as the diagram above, if you simply put the bottom row below the top row.

• Members

hey thanks for the help. I got this straightened out with Dimarzio. Apparently I was going about this wrong; essentially I have 3 humbuckers and to do the wiring I wanted, I would a need a 5 way super switch. But this info is handy and I'm sure it'll help with future projects. I don't get why they make the switch diagram like that, the Dimarzio rep sent me some Ibanez wiring diagrams and they had them in line like they actually look like in.

Archived