looking to buy a Jazzmaster - advice?

Vespertine

• Members

So things have been getting better for me lately, got a job, paid some bills, and now I'm thinking about getting a new guitar.. because it's been a while since I bought something nice :D

anyhow... I've been wanting to get a Jazzmaster for a while and wanted to know how the CIJ versions compare to the Classic Player Series. I understand that the classic player series has a tom and a different radius, (specs seem to lean more towards the modern side of things, which personally I don't mind. I'm not precisely looking to get an exact 60's replica... as long as it sounds and plays nice, it's all good.) but how do they compare quality wise.

any jazzmaster owners around? :poke::cool:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Jazzmaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=518687

557624.jpg

• Members

I have had a classic player and they are fantastic guitars. I wasn't too fond of the pickups but really liked the new bridge setup.

How so? are they to hot sounding? I read they were designed to have more output that the regular ones, and was wondering whether or that could be a good thing. I personally tend to prefer medium to low output pups for their dynamics... but then again, it also depends on the voicing.

• Members

I prefer the color options available on the Japanese versions, but the CP's do have a better bridge set up and I think the electronic components are a bit better. Either way you would still have to upgrade the pickups. The ones in the CP are a bit hotter and with less Jazzmaster character in my opinion.

• Members

I hated them.

They were not hot. Just brittle and harsh. The bridge at least.

I put lollars in mine and it made a world of difference. The other thing I would recommend while you are in there is shielding and grounding everything you see. I don't know all the physics involved but those big pickups really do hum a lot and you need all the help you can get.

After grounding, totally manageable though.

• Members

I'd recommend the CP Jazzmaster. With the TOM, you wont have to worry about having to use heavy gauge strings to keep the guitar in the bridge grooves. The CIJ Jazzmasters are infamously known for retaining the same Jazzmaster bridge problems that have plagued the old designs.

Archived