Intonation issue

Kuroyume

• Members

This is about my 'el-cheapo' Galveston 7-string. So, I remove the original strings (and tossed them without getting all the gages - definitely 0.009 E) to oil the fretboard, clean and put in new pickups.

The only 7-string string set that I could find at GC online was D'Addario Bright EXL120-7.

I checked the intonation and all of the strings but the A were almost perfect. I know how to intonate so I did the minor adjustments to the others and now they are perfect. The A, on the other hand, is still half-way between A and Ab on the 12th fret even with the bridge saddle almost totally unscrewed (towards the neck). Frustrating.

My question is this: should I go with a heavier gage string for the A to compensate for this? Will that work?

Thanks!

• Members

It's a fixed bridge like the Ibanez JS1600 (for instance).

No, I haven't flipped the saddle. I assume this means flipping top to bottom (?). The saddles look to only go one way here (top on top, back at back). :)

I'm figuring that this guitar may have used a heavier gage A string since the rest were so close. I know little about how it comes 'new' as it was purchased used.

• Members

Must have been a heavier gage. I found a 0.036 to replace the 0.032 and it intonated nicely. From its original position, the string gage may have been 0.038 but I'll stick with 0.036. What sucks is that now I need to get 0.036 singles whenever I get a new set or go up to the EXL110-7 string sets.

• Members

Was thinking tune-o-matic where flipping the saddle around shortens the string. You might want to look at other sets available.

Yep. I like the EXL120-7s though. Very fast and 'bendy'. And I purchased three sets so I might just get three 0.036 singles and debate going for the EXL110-7s when the time comes.

Thanks!

Archived