Les Paul Vintage Mahogany vs Les Paul Studio Faded. what's the difference????

guitarman3001

• Members

I'm totally confused. From what I can tell, there is absolutely no difference between the LP Vintage Mahogany which is apparently no longer made and the studio faded worn which is currently being sold. Only difference I see is they got cheap and started sending them with a gig bag instead of hardshell case.

The description of the VM from musiciansfriend:

The Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany brings together old and new Les Paul features to create a unique and special guitar. The round warmth of a carved mahogany top on a mahogany back first debuted in the famous 1957 Custom Black Beauty. Now Gibson brings this fabulous wood combo back with the added vintage edge of Gibson's Alnico V BurstBucker Pro humbuckers. Designed especially for the new Gibson Les Paul Standards, these pickups provide pure tone lovers with stunning humbucking tone on their electric guitars. A '59 rounded Les Paul mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and trapezoid inlays is fast yet substantial.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar Features:

* Carved mahogany top and mahogany back

* '59 rounded Les Paul mahogany neck

* Rosewood fingerboard

* Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar

* Chrome hardware

* Alnico V BurstBucker Pro pickups

* 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

--------------------------------------------------

These are the exact same specs as the studio faded. It looks like they even used the exact same pic.

The vintage mahogany:

274115.jpg

The faded worn cherry:

638451.jpg

Fuck me if this isn't the exact same guitar, just renamed for some reason.

Am I missing something here?

And a pox on the cheapskates who decided to stop including hard shell cases with them! I ordered the faded and it's supposed to come with a gig bag.

• Members

the faded worn brown and worn cherry come with BB pros just like the VM. Same exact guitar, imo.

your wrong

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Studio-Electric-Guitar-Mahogany/dp/B0002E53JW

* Edit..actually I've found some places selling the faded with BB's too, weird. I always thought the fadeds had 490's and 498's, but now they are selling it with both types of pups. I want the black one.

• Members

Nice one Gibson! I like that part of the rationale for their prices is always the whole ownership of a "first-class" instrument argument and then they nickel and dime ya with this kind of BS ...

And before all you Gibson fans get all worked up, I love Gibson (instruments) I'm just not a fan of Gibson (boardroom/corporate) ...

• Members

your wrong

well, either you and amazon are wrong, or Gibson is wrong. I think I'll believe gibson.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

Also, from MF:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar Features:

* Carved maple top and mahogany back (Mahogany top on faded finish models)

* Mahogany neck, '59 Rounded Les Paul

* Rosewood fingerboard (Ebony on Alpine white)

* Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar

* Chrome or gold hardware

* 490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups (BurstBucker Pro on faded finish models)

* 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

• Members

Just saw your edit. The black satin ebony comes with the 490/498 set. The worn brown and worn cherry come with the BB pros. Amazon is wrong.

Cool. I swear they were available in europe as the faded with 490/498's in brown and cherry as well, back when they couldn't get lpvm's. I think the lpvm was a gc exclusive.Maybe that has something to do with it.

Archived