question about using a regular-spaced super distortion p-up on a 2002 Gibson

dredloxsuck

• Members

I'm wondering if someone here has some good knowledge on this topic, but my dilemma is this: I own a 2002 Gibson SG faded special, and I decided to swap out the emg81 i had in the bridge position for years, with a regular-spaced Dimarzio super distortion. I didn't realize until after i had installed and restrung the guitar, that the pole pieces aren't all lining up. I always thought f-spacing was for tremolo type bridge set-ups, so i assumed i would be in the clear with this one. guess not. so my question is, will this screw things up? i mean, is the sound i am getting now, much different than what i would be getting had i installed the f-spaced p-up? right now, i am just getting used to the difference between having used the active p-up for so long and getting all that hi-gain, metal tonality coming through, to now having a much more mellow sounding rock tone. my ears need to adjust haha.

• Members

You should be fine. Gibson started making neck-spaced pickups in the early 60's, IIRC, but not all guitars have them. The magnet is actually a bar sitting below the pole pieces and even if the poles are not aligned perfectly, your guitar should sound normal. If the pole pieces themselves are the magnets, then you might have some issues.

Archived