Unhappy with "Texas" style strat bridge pup, replacement ideas?

seanm27

• Members

I have a set of GFS "Texas" style pickups, and while I love the neck and middle pups the "overwound" bridge just sounds nasally and bad to me. I also had a SD Hot Rails in there before which also seemed nasally and bad to me except when it was coil-tapped.

Any recommendations for a replacement bridge pup that will mix well with the neck/middle, but still has its own distinct sound?

My preferences are toward smooth, sweet, and inexpensive but all ideas are welcome!

• Members

Do you have a tone knob wired to it?

I would try that before replacing it.

Made a world of difference to mine.

This! I set up all my strats up with blender wiring. The tone knob tames the bridge big time. I also find that I never really use the volume on 10. Between 7 and 8 is the sweet spot to my ears when I play clean.

• Members

You should really look into a baseplate before you replace the pickup. It will add bass & midrange to the mix. Callaham & Fralin sell them for around $8-$10. I never bonded with any Strat bridge pickup. Now I make my own baseplates and install them on every Strat I encounter. I also wire the tone knob to the middle & bridge pickup as others have recommended. It really makes the bridge pickup useable.

• Members

isnt that the set with the 9.5k ohms bridge pickup, and the 5.3 neck pickup ?

try switching the neck and bridge pickups, put the 9.5 in the neck position and visa versa put the 5.3 in the bridge spot just to see how they sound , if the 9.5 is too loud at the neck just back it away from the strings a touch to compensate..

if when you put the 5.3k ohm pickup in the bridge position and if it dont sound to bad to your ears then at least you will kinda have an idea of what type of pickup you want for the bridge position, ... i dont know wont hurt to try swap them around and see what you think before going out and buying another one ? ... who knows the heavy wound one may end up sounding better as a neck pickup when its backed off a bit to mellow it out..:idk:

anyway just a thought , good luck with your pickup hunting :)

Archived