So i just bought a G system.....what to expect

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I've heard they are cool as hell, sound wise, but a real pain in the ass to set up and program. I had a friend get one, and after a few days of frustration he put it back in the box and sent it back.

This can definitely be true. I love mine and have had it for over a year. It was a challenge to set up, but this is a sophisticated piece of gear and can really be a powerful tool if you take the time to understand it, learn what you need to learn about your amp and other gear, and learn a little valuable information about impedence and other topics that will be very beneficial to learn. If you're only willing to spend a few days learning about this piece of gear, you will be sending it back like tiltsta's friend did.

The G-System forum is great and there are some really knowledgeable people there. The best expert is a guy by the name of Laird Williams who wrote a very detailed document about how the G works. I recommend reading this document cover to cover. You want take the time to get it set up using the 4-cable method, which is involved, but it will give you maximum use of the G's features and minimal, if any, alteration of your amp's natural tone.

You can get the configuration guide at Guitar Affair's site:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/g-system-support.php

Once you read the doc, post any questions to the forum and you will get all the help/advice you need.

• Members

A former bandmate had one... got some GREAT tones out of it. However, he spent A LOT of time tweaking it before breaking it out at a gig.

OTOH, I bought a DigiTech RP500 last year (yeah, I know that they're COMPLETELY different animals), hooked it up to my PC, threw together a few patches, & had it at rehearsals & gigs within a few days. Your mileage may vary :idk:

• Members

Had one........great unit. Didn't really take me long to set it up. Lack of support from TC is really what drove me to sell it (lack of updates, etc). The switching system is second to none. What effects it has are great (with some exceptions.........like the phaser). Ended up switching to a Digitech GSP1101 as well.

Archived