Anyone here using Headstrong amps?

PancakeBunny

• Members

I was first introduced to them on Jim Soloways website. As an avid fan of his guitars seeing these amps on there has really caught my attention.

I'm wondering how close the Lil' King and Royal Reverbs are to the original blackface Princeton and Deluxe Reverbs. Granted the Lil' King comes with a 12" speaker but that's a mod a lot of people add even on their original blackfaces.

I'm curious if any of you folks use these and how you like them.

• Members

I checked out the Lil King this past summer. I haven't played any original deluxe or princeton, but I do own the Deluxe Reverb RI. I was thinking about replacing it with the Lil King. Sort of apples to oranges, but to me the Lil King is a bit warmer sounding (less icepick high) and has a much much better tremolo circuit. The reverb comes on more gradually than the Fender, where anything over 3.5 starts sounding really surfy.

So I thought it sounded pretty good and better than the Deluxe reissue, but at the end of the day a used Lil King costs maybe $1200, I could probably sell my Deluxe for $650-700...I could have done it but I didn't feel so overwhelmed as to part with an amp I like and $500.

Of note, I only got to play it at cleaner levels - no powertube OD. I play clean most of the time on my Deluxe anyway.

Archived