Wow I can't believe it

jack daniels

• Members

I recently ordered an ESP Viper 401fm with the 81/85 active EMG's and OMG i cannot play these pups anymore. When i first started playing almost 9 years ago i started on passive emg's, then installed and soldered in the Active pups. Now that i've been playing Strats for the past 2 years i simply cannot use EMG's ever again. I thought i would love the sound again and maybe i could tweak my settings to get some "feel" outta them pups, no luck. It's funny how my playing style evolved from rock/metal to bluesy playing. Emg's are awesome for alot of styles, but i've moved away from them sound wise. :cry:

I'm gonna return this guitar back to Musicians Friend.. I hope they don't kill me with a restock fee lol. I prefer the sound of single coils so much more now then even other Humbuckers like in the Epiphone Les Paul i used to have. What is it about single coil? They just sound more "expressive" is the best way i can describe them.

• Members

I've had EMGs and wasn't happy until getting my RR24M tuned to Eb.

I have a 81 / 85 set in a Jackson Kelly Star KS2 with an SPC boost. Too grainy.

An 81 and an EMG-S in a Charvel Fusion Deluxe wired to 18v - too bright.

The RR24M sounds open, not sterile. I love it, but hate the tone of the other two EMG loaded guitars I have. I'm going to swap the 81 with the 85 in the KS-2 putting the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.

It's funny how my playing style evolved from rock/metal to bluesy playing.

Have your amps changed since using the EMG's back then?

• Members

You might try the SD Blackouts. They are similar to the EMGs but with more tone and a more organic feel. They make them in single coils now too.

I recently ordered some and am waiting to hear what they will sound like in my guitar.

I am putting the regular blackout humbucker in my bridge and a single coil blackouts in my neck. They say that the single coil blackouts are ideal for blues so you might like those.

I play a lot of industrial myself.

• Members

My experience with EMGs hasn't been particular positive -- I once played an EMG-loaded Strat and it was so glassy it made Lace Sensors sound warm and vintage by comparison. Similarly, a friend of mine used to have the 85/81 set in a pair of Les Pauls, but he's now reinstalled the stock Gibson HBs.

My take is that they work well for absolute pristine cleans and serious OTT filth, but the stuff in between (which is where I hang on my own music) is ill-served by them.

Still -- it's all subjective -- it's entirely down to what kind of music you play and how you want to sound. My tonal heaven could be your tonal hell, and vice versa.

• Members

well i love EMGs. they can do the cleans, super distortion high gain stuff and everything inbetween. mabey not the 81 but a 60 will definatly get you there. i have an epi V with a 60 in the neck and 85 in the bridge. i love it. can get the bluesy hendrix tone from the 60 in the neck and for all those that think they sound steril, just roll down the volume and tone a bit. it does wonders for the sound. trust me.

Archived