Need ya help guys in designing a new Tele...

expat701

• Members

I live in Australia. I'm going to have a local luthier build me a custom Tele.

First thing first... I am going to be "influenced" by an Anderson Cobra. It will be flame maple over a warm wood like mahogony (or local equivalent)... I will probably go mable neck with ebony or rosewood fingerboard. I want 'buckers (splitable) in there.

I'm still deciding on scale length... I play a strat and a standard Tele but the idea of introducing more warmth via 24.75" scale is appealing...

I'm still deciding whether to go flat top, carved top or thin line (hollow). One thing I want is comfort contours.

I've some questions:-

1) Anderson's Cobra is a "drop top" rather than a carved top. It's got a rib contour and a forearm contour... however Anderson doesn't use a pickguard. I can't understand how you can play a lovely flame maple flat top guitar without a pickguard AND not scratch up the finish over time. I can understand this doesn't happen with a carved top but not a flat top.

If I go flat top I guess I will use a transparent pickguard to save the finish but still allow the flame maple to show through... What are your thoughts on this?

2) If I were to go carved top I can get away without a pickguard but can I will have a forearm contour? I know I can have a rib contour but I can't remember seeing a forearm contour on a carved top guitar.

3) If I go thin line (hollow) can I have a rib and forearm contour? I've never seen a thin line with contours... do they exist?

• Members

I have never seen contours on a thinline. I'm sure you figure out a way to do them but just doesn't seem right. Same thing on a carved top. I don't think the contour would look quite right. I have seen clear pick guards though to let the finish show through.
IMO go with the clear pick guard.

• Members

With a carved top, I guess you don't need a forearm contour... the shape of the top cradles your arm. I wonder whether the edge of the guitar on a carved top is thicker than the edge of a flat top guitar that has been forearm contoured???

Overall, I've always wondered why Tom Anderson went with a drop top design for the Cobra rather than a carved top??? The flame mable/carved top combination seems to be the most common out there...

Archived