Where do you buy your vinyl?

toddlans

• Members

I'm looking for some more options as far as online vinyl goes. Post where you like to buy from, what styles, why? Is the selection good? Customer service? Shipping speed? Price?

I use Ebay and Turntable Lab usually. There are others I'll use from time to time, but usually I just search for whatever record I'm looking for at the time. Anybody care to comment? What do you guys use?

• Members

Originally posted by Monkey Mouse

I go to my local record shop and buy there.

Scratch that - my record store is going out of business the end of this month due to losing their lease - frickin great.

Now its either go to NYC for records or buy them online.

• Members

Right now, it's still NY.

I just moved to PA and it's hard to find vinyl out here....

Maybe Philly for HipHop vinyl, but since I'm into club music, I might as well hit NYC.

If there's good vinyl spots in NJ, I would like to know....I'm guessing maybe Newark (????)

:confused:

• Members

Records are everywhere. Go to the thrift stores. Go to swap meets, yard sales, etc. You're unlikely to find anything at a decent price online. You have to dig. Learn the labels you like, buy stuff that looks good from the covers. Turntable Lab is only going to have your current stuff an reissues. Ebay will have your other stuff buy you'll have to pay a ton for it, plus shipping. Nothing beats the dollar bin.

• Members

Originally posted by OneMixDJ

Right now, it's still NY.

I just moved to PA and it's hard to find vinyl out here....

Maybe Philly for HipHop vinyl, but since I'm into club music, I might as well hit NYC.

If there's good vinyl spots in NJ, I would like to know....I'm guessing maybe Newark (????)

:confused:

If you like hip hop, Newark has it.

If its anything other than that, NJ is officially dead now. NYC or nothing.

• Members

Exactly, I have nowhere in person to buy records (Central PA). There are two shops about an hour away and they suck, they are all old rock records that are warped and even if you wanted rock records people have picked through all the good stuff. Turntable lab is ok, but I know there's gotta be a lot more out there.

• Members

Originally posted by the_tonto

Exactly, I have nowhere in person to buy records (Central PA). There are two shops about an hour away and they suck, they are all old rock records that are warped and even if you wanted rock records people have picked through all the good stuff. Turntable lab is ok, but I know there's gotta be a lot more out there.

So, are you actually trying to make music or just play it? There's lots of online record shops where you can buy hip hop. Sandboxautomatic, Hiphopsite, Dusty Groove. If you're looking to produce then buying the bulk of your records online is wack {censored}. And if you go to NYC you will pay out the ass for anything that looks remotely good. Go to Bleeker Bobs and you'll get reamed.

• Members

Originally posted by Manipulate

So, are you actually trying to make music or just play it? There's lots of online record shops where you can buy hip hop. Sandboxautomatic, Hiphopsite, Dusty Groove. If you're looking to produce then buying the bulk of your records online is wack {censored}. And if you go to NYC you will pay out the ass for anything that looks remotely good.

This might be true, but it depends on where you go.

For club music, I used to hit Vinylmania, Discorama, Downtown Records or Rock-N-Soul. Rock-N-Soul also has Hip Hop & Reggae, plus they have cheap turntables set up so you can listen before buying it.

There's a few others but they want $$$$$$.

Other than that, you have to hit either The Bronx or Brooklyn to find the music.

For Hip Hop, just go to Beat Street in either The Bronx or Brooklyn.

I normally go to the store in Brooklyn on Fulton Street (downtown). Right along that strip, there's another spot near Beat Street that I would run into, but I forgot the name of that spot.

Harmony Music in The Bronx is another good spot for Hip Hop.

The Music Factory in The Bronx is another nice spot.

I'm not familiar with the shops in Newark.

DJ Hutch and the members of his Jersey DJs message board (www.jerseydjs.com) are the people to talk to in order to know where to find the club music in Jersey.

Hope this helps...;)

• Members

www.htfr.com

this is one of if not the best online record stores out there htrf stands for hard to find records they have everything man and i mean everything they delivery speed is pretty good under 7 days i usualy place an order every week. they also have mp3 samples for all of the tracks so u know what your buying check it out

Archived